Serious advice needed....Drink driving - dannycambs

Hi guys please can I get some advice.

Just over 8 weeks ago I was involved in a car accident.....well not really a car accident but more a suicide attempt.

I have been suffering with serious depression due to immense pressures at work, family issues and much more.

After a few drinks i decided to drive my self off a motorway into some trees with the intention of ending my situation.

I was obviously taken to hospital with injuries and was in and out of consciousness. I recall the police being present but memory is very vague.

In A&E I have been told at one point I had to be revived. I remember being very confused and recall the police asking me for a blood sample which I apparently did not give and blacked out on a number of occasions. I remember bloods being taken but have been told they were for hospital use. I was told that my reply to the officer was ''you have already taken my bloods'' which I thought they had.....I really do not remember what was going on as was in a lot of pain and very disorientated.

I was kept in hospital for four days before being allowed to return to a family home.

8 weeks later the police have now contacted me and said that I have to give my self in for arrest otherwise they will issue a warrant.

Since the incident I am being treated for serious depression by the mental health team and receiving regular support from my GP and have just started seeing a physiatrist along with being put onto medication.

One of the biggest issues I was dealing with was serious pressure from my job which has now been resolved as after the incident I quit and have now found a great new job which will not be as stressful and I believe will go a long way towards my improvement of mental health. I am getting constructive help in resolving my other issues and have started to feel a little better inside.

Already I am starting to feel rock bottom again. The job I have just taken involves me driving and feel everything is about to turn upside down.

What is my situation....will I be done for not giving a sample...what can I expect (I have a dr10 but it was from over 10 years ago)......have I got a case to say that I really didn’t know what the hell was going on after the accident.

I know i should have seeked help before hand and it would never have led to this but I really didn’t realise the state I am in.

With help and support I am pulling my life together and really don’t want in all to go down the drain.

Any advice would be really helpful please..

Edited by Avant on 11/10/2011 at 00:50

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - Avant

I'm really sorry to hear this: I hesitate to give you advice as I think you need to see a solicitor and establish what your position is and what you can do about it.

From the police point of view it appears that you've commited an offence (drink-driving) and that means they have to do their job. You may well be able to defend yourself regarding blood samples through your being in and out of consciousness, but as I say you need a professional lawyer to help you.

I'm not sure what a 'physiatrist' is but if you mean a psychiatrist, then (s)he should be able to help you look towards the future rather than the past, if that's possible.

The best of luck.

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - dannycambs

I called a 24hr drink driving solicitor who has advised me to speak to the police tomorrow to try and find out if they did take a sample or not. He has advised me that I do not need to attend for an interview or arrest and that they should direct it straight to the courts.....I am now worried as last thing I want is to be arrested with a warrent.

Starting to wish I was driving a little faster!!

Thanks anyway

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - Dwight Van Driver

Consider taking the advice of Avant ^^^^^^

Breath test/blood samples at Hospital of an injured driver can be quite complicated and there is a set procedure which has to be followed, see

http://www.drinkdriving.org/police_hospital_procedure.php

read persons incapable of consenting section.

A solicitor will go through it with a fine toothcomb and if there is any departure from the law you may get off. It may well be adviseable to have a Solicitor present when you attend the Police Station presumably for charging - if you were under they would have said so.

Unless they want persue a dangerosu driving charge?

dvd

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - ifithelps

I agree with dvd, the police must be looking at drink driving and/or dangerous driving.

I'm afraid a ban is inevitable one way or another because both drink driving and dangerous driving carry mandatory disqualification.

You may be able to get out from under the drink driving charge, which would assist you to a limited extent.

Your total immediate penalty may be a little, but not much, less, and not having another drink driving on your record will make your driving rehabilitiation in the coming years easier.

But dangerous driving is a nasty charge, and you will have to take an extended driving test before you can drive again.

Your personal circumstances are strong mitigation, but they also work against you because deliberately driving as you did makes the dangerous driving more serious.

I agree you may as well co-operate with the police, at least to the limited extent of speaking with them to find out what's afoot.

It's a bit early for horse-trading, but the Crown Prosecution Service may accept a guilty plea to dangerous driving in exchange for dropping drink driving, particularly if the drink driving looks technically difficult.

It would be a right result if you could get the whole lot bartered down to careless driving, but I fear the evidence of dangerous driving is too strong.

Some dangerous drivers go to prison, but the usual aggravating factors - police chase, injury to others or damage to their property - are absent.

Your strong mitigating circumstances, and guilty plea if you make one, should mean you avoid immediate custody.

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - JOhn Fred
Hello how are you friends i am new here and i want connect everyone here.
Serious advice needed....Drink driving - thunderbird

You admit drink driving so just accept the fact you will loose your licence, I find it totally abhorrant when posters admit drink driving and then try to use loopholes to get out of it.

Go to the police station (take a solicitor if you can find one), if you don't you will be arrested. If they have to come for you it will be worse, there will be further chsrges.

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - Armitage Shanks {p}

If the high number of legal and adminstrative functionaries who try to run this country, at huge cost to us, can't get the laws framed right it is open to us to use their incompetence to our own benefit. Think tax avoidance, may be abhorrent bit is still legal.

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - skidpan

If the high number of legal and adminstrative functionaries who try to run this country, at huge cost to us, can't get the laws framed right it is open to us to use their incompetence to our own benefit. Think tax avoidance, may be abhorrent bit is still legal.

So its OK to break the law if there is a way out of it.

That is not the case and I hope you realise that, if not you need educating.

DRINK DRIVING KILLS, at least the OP only injured himself.

No of course it isn't.What a stupid question to ask! If something is not illegal one cannot "Break the Law" by doing it ie tax avoidance. Reprehensible, immoral? Possibly. Illegal No

If the circumstances of any alleged offence cannot be determined and a case brought stating that a law has been broken and quoting that law on a charge sheet then there is no case. The business of taking blood samples from unconcious people is a vexed area.

OP may well have been drink driving and that is not a good idea but if the law cannot prove this in court then he cannot be convicted. However, he will have learned a salutary lesson and that is what Justice, in all its forms, is about.

BTW -my education is fine but thanks for asking!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 04/08/2012 at 11:30

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - Bromptonaut

Just for the record guys this is a thread from 10 months ago brought back to life by a rather odd 'wannabe mates' post.

Sorry - I hadn't spotted the dates. Still -comments re evasio/.avoidance and legal/illegal are valid until the law is changed

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - thunderbird

Old post or not, if he had killed someone (other than himself) during his drunken suicide attempt he would have been charged with manslaughter at the very minimum.

Wonder what happened to him?

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - mrgraeme
A doctor can take a blood sample for the police to use as part of their investigation, otherwise all unconcious drivers would 'get off' with drink driving. I am please to know that no innocent members of the public were hurt.
Serious advice needed....Drink driving - ORGANICNUTTER
Hi there!
I'm a newbie so forgive my knowledge !
I need some advice as to what to expect for being arrested for a drunken crash I have had.Basically I crashed my beloved seat Leon into a traffic light pole after downing 4 cans of Speciel brew and lost control and hit it.
I was kept within the car by 2 members of the public(and quite rightly so) but when the police arrived apparently I swung for one of the guys who trapped me in the car to which I was duly taken to the floor and handcuffed .

I gave a reading of 104 and pleaded guilty straightaway( obviously) fully co operated after the incident it is a first time motoring offence in 23 years of driving and ive been a TOTAL ASS in doing this stupid thing and I am a clinical depressive and an alcoholic and have never even attempted to drive before whilst drinking, I'm up in court soon and have hired a brief(yet to meet/speak)
But I need to know what punishment I should expect?

My life is in ruins and just don't know what to do:-(

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - hier

hi pall that sounds bad i think drink driveing devices should be more available the ones that downt let you start your car when over or neer limit thay use these in america and if tay were readery available i think would save many lives and many hardships in life thru being sentanst to drink driveing i saw a key fob on dradons den whitch wouldent relese your key if had a drink thay dident like it i do anyway allot of people slate drink drivers but downt understand the termoil in a deprest persons head we all have 2 voises in are head but a deprest person aspeshally after drink will let the bad one in makeing all types of rash regretable disishions but at the time downt care because thay feel so worthless and allot of the time ceep telling them selves i wish i was dead i wish i had never been born ect as for your case how is it dangeros driveing if you hit a tree on purpos people have no sympathy and as for you not giveing blood you were not in a fit state to anser a question like that when you had been in a bad acsident i downt know what to advise you i think i would plead not guilty to both as you are a deprest person but allot of people downt know what its like to be deprest and are narrow minded tinking every one makes disishions like thay do in thair nice little place yes you ave don rong but as i said why downt thay make it mandatory to fit a drink drive device on car for any one caoaugt drink driveing and charg you for it if thay had done this to you you wouldent be in this mess now i hope things work out for you if not try to look forward as looking back wont help harder done than said i know all the best martin

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - tony g
To tedious to read .
Serious advice needed....Drink driving - Avant

Welcome to the forum, Hier. We don't normally like to criticise other people's English, but - assuming you're wanting to make a serious point - you do need to put in some punctuation and paragraph breaks if you want people to read what you write without losing the will to live.

That said, I don't think I could produce such a brilliant amalgam of Ulysses and Down with Skool if I tried.

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - hier

yo Avant get your point but it is aledgable. All im saying is if you were made to put drink drive device on car after first ofence witch thay do in America it would make sence,people high up might be good at gramer but have no common sence,and no insite to the way other people live and feel.There in there little safe bubble.

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - FP

You what?

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - Jaycube

I can understand you are in real depression but you are lucky that you did not cost somebody in that situation otherwise you will be in deep trouble.

Serious advice needed....Drink driving - tony g
Trolling ,see angie d post ,same nonsense .

Edited by tony g on 04/09/2012 at 10:55