Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class W171 - HPI claim - robger
HPI Question: recently purchased a used Mercedes Slk for my wife, from an independent dealer. I am ex motor trade so I made sure I carried out an HPI check, providing VRM and chassis no to ensure I was covered by their indemnity. The car is only 18 months old and was in superb condition, it did however have evidence of some paint work on both doors. I was slightly suspicious of this however I went ahead with the deal as these cars are painted regularly. We are now 2 months down the line and HPI have just contacted me to say that an insurance company have just registered it as a category D write off from an accident over 12 months ago. The girl at HPI has told me that it should be ok as I have an indemnity to protect me. She was a little vague as what I should expect, something along the lines of the following. They will pay me approx 50% of what I paid for the car and I can keep it or I can put it through an auction and then they will pay the difference between what it makes and what I paid. Can anyone confirm if this is fair and if I can push for a better settlement.  I am very weary of owning a car with this type of history and I feel that I would need a considerable payment to minimise my risk as who can tell how much it may be worth in the future(assuming I can sell it on). It is further complicated by the fact that they have asked me not approach the sellers as they are under an investigation for fraud. Any view or similar experiences appreciated.
Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class W171 - HPI claim - oldroverboy
all

Edited by OldRoverboy on 15/10/2011 at 16:54

Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class W171 - HPI claim - bonzo dog

or I can put it through an auction and then they will pay the difference between what it makes and what I paid

Hi Robger, sound like they are guaranteeing you your money back. Seems fair to me BUT GET IT IN WRITING

Good Luck