Skoda Octavia 1.6 Elegance Estate - Fault Code 16706 - PrestonDave

Keep getting 2 fault codes 17524 (which I can't find in book) and 16706 (P0322) Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit - No Signal. The latter code seems to be causing following problems:-

Car starts fine from cold. However, car difficult to re-start when warm after filling with fuel. Also occasionally stalling at traffic lights. Usually re-starts, but I get EPC light and car then runs lumpy.

Once cold again and/or reset codes, car starts and runs fine. Recently, car stalled and wouldn't re-start and towed to garage who replaced starter motor, but codes still appearing and car still running lumpy after 'warm' restart as above. Have been told it could be Impulse Sensor or Engine Speed Sensor oiling up. 6 months ago car had reconditioned engine as previous one losing/burning oil, so sensor may indeed be oily.

Where on Skoda Octavia (2001) are these sensors located? Indeed are they one and the same thing by a different name? Are they expensive to replace? What is/are part number(s) for these Sensors? Thanks

Skoda Octavia 1.6 Elegance Estate - Fault Code 16706 - captain chaos

Apparantly clearing the fault code cures it

http://tinyurl.com/6dxeul7

Skoda Octavia 1.6 Elegance Estate - Fault Code 16706 - PrestonDave

Apparantly clearing the fault code cures it

http://tinyurl.com/6dxeul7

I have repeatedly cleared codes, but this didn't cure problems mentioned.

Did use your link though and as it hinted problems with engine speed sensor, I replaced it and car runs fine (no lumpiness; starts first time whether engine cold or warm)

However, still getting 17524 code. I can clear this code and car runs with no problem at all when engine cold. However, if I restart engine when warm, engine light comes on and 17524 code appears.

I could live with both these as car actually running fine with 278,000 Kilometres on the clock! But I've been informed changes to MOT test in January 2012 will force car to fail if dashboard lights/engine management lights on.

Any advise, including quick fixes, such as removing the odd fuse for MOT, would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Skoda Octavia 1.6 Elegance Estate - Fault Code 16706 - Avant

Moved to Technical.