Vauxhall Vectra C - FUEL PUMP ECU - cov87

Hi, Im new to honest John so please forgive me if i sound a bit dizzy!!. I brought a 2004 Vectra 2.0 dti that was in 'limp mode', being told by the seller it was in need of a new Mass Air Flow Meter (MAF), after purchasing one the car was still in 'limp mode'. My local diagnostic center traced the fault back to the fuel pump ECU, but they cannot be 100% sure, the car has had £940 spent on it in the last 28 days by the previous owner, including a new EGR valve and numerouse diagnostic checks, which was throwing out MAF faults, iv been quoted £1200 for a new ECU fitted which is more than i paid for the car!!

Do these ECU repair places guarentee to fix the fault or would it just be a case of "oh well it wasnt the ECU"? and to remove the ECU do i have to remove the pump and if so is it and easy job,(bearing in mind i brought the car for my wife who is due to give birth in 28 days!!) any help would be most appreciated, thanks, Mark.

Vauxhall Vectra C - FUEL PUMP ECU - Bobbin Threadbare

I had heard that, on Vauxhalls, the ECU is too close to the engine block, which shakes it and heats it up so it ends up knackered; this is manifest as a dodgy MAF. Anyone back me up?

My brother in law just had to have the ECU on his Clio replaced - an independent garage said £850 ish for a speedy job (i.e. get the part from Renault and have it back to him in a few days) or £350 if he was prepared to let them send the car away and wait 2 weeks for it. He decided to wait the 2 weeks! The ECU itself is a few hundred quid, but they have to program it to match your car.