406 hdi 2003 - pug406 - dave_compass

Can anyone help>>

had a new rad fitted 5 weeks ago due to other failing, since then the car has ran fine, until i tow the caravan??? the car then starts to overheat on any climbs jumping up to around 80 deg, we then turn the heater on and temp starts to drop. The vehicle is fine running around town and in standing traffic with the van on the back or not. its not losing any coolent and i've had it on tick over on the drive and have witnessed the fan dropping in and and out.. but i understand they have a 2 speed fan , is there anyway of checking that the speed 2 is working correctly??

I've this caravan with the car for the last 12months and its been fine

Cheers

406 hdi 2003 - pug406 - Avant

Moved to Technical.

406 hdi 2003 - pug406 - dave_compass

i stated temp jumped to 80deg - incorrect it actually sit steady at 90 deg but slowly increase upto the start of the "red line" by thise time we activated the heating and brought it under control, that is at the moment..

406 hdi 2003 - pug406 - bathtub tom

Nothing wrong I'd say. The coolant doesn't start to boil until over 100C because of the pressurisation in the system.

I'd suggest changing down when the temp goes up and let the cooling system deal with it. I presume you've kept it in good condition?

I had an elderly relative who'd insist on turning the heating on full if the temp gauge went any where near halfway mark. They could never be convinced the design of it catered for such eventualities.

Edited by bathtub tom on 15/08/2011 at 00:51

406 hdi 2003 - pug406 - agfa

I have been experiencing this same problem with my 406 of late. It used to be fine. I have changed the 3 relays at the front, the pressure cap and the coolant to no avail. Have you found a cure . I do not go with the idea that it is not a problem, and just change gears to sort it like someone suggested. Haynes is of no use, as the colour coding is different, and the fuses it mentions do not exist. "Frustrated.