Toyota Avensis T3-x - Short block replacement - Frann

I have a Toyota Avensis T3-X 2004 which had a short block replacement because of the problem of using oil in July 2009 under warranty, (service in February of that year), In June 2011 the car suffered complete engine failure which seems to be down to timing chain failure and now needs a new engine. The dealership is saying this can happen at any time (has only done approx 60,000 miles) Has anyone else encountered this problem. Frann

Toyota Avensis T3-x - Short block replacement - craig-pd130

How many miles since the short block replacement? It was only done two years ago, and if it was a Toyota warranty job done at a Toyota-approved dealer, then the timing chain failure should at least be partially covered.

A new chain should have been fitted when the block was changed. It sounds like it wasn't, or the tensioner mechanism wasn't.

Yes, chains can fail at any time, but as it's apparently less than two years after a complete manufacturer-approved engine rebuild, you should get some contribution from Toyota or the dealer.

Assuming you've kept up the servicing schedule, I'd take it up with Toyota UK if the dealer won't budge.

Toyota Avensis T3-x - Short block replacement - Frann

Thank you. 42,405 when short block replaced, then at service in Feb 2011, 57,850, so now not much more that 63,000 I wouldn't think, (car at Motorline Toyota). No service in Feb 2010.

I was told that the car would get a new engine, and paperwork states "whilst engine replaced", interestingly this car "needed" a new clutch and discs and pads front and back even though it had only done 42, 000 + miles (which I am told is unusual for a Toyota) and these were fitted FOC "whilst engine replaced". I only found out it was a short block when the car failed.

The dealership have offered £1,500 part exchange against another Toyota. Initially when the car was towed to them they told me oil in the coolant, and that it would cost us £200 to have the engine stripped down to see what had happened, then they said they would do this at their cost and the latest conversation went along the lines that without stripping the engine down they can't be sure its the timing chain. !

No answer at all when its put to them that they were the only people to touch this engine.

Edited by Avant on 07/08/2011 at 01:13