Ford Focus Estate - confusing price guides - fiddlestick

Not wishing to be either a cheapskate nor a spendthrift, but willing to pay a fair price for a Focus Estate 1.6 Zetec or Ghia, 05-08 from a main dealer, I have bought a Parker's Guide, consulted Parker's online, obtained a CAP price for one at auction (which I was told are currently running at £500 below actual prices?), and purchased a Glass's price online.

My first surprise was that they appear to be cheaper than the equivalent hatchbacks.

Glass's only quoted for the Zetec, so that's what I give the figures for here:

05/55reg 1.6 petrol manual: Firstly Parker's Private-£3315 Ind dealer-£3680 Main dealer-£4030 ; Secondly Glass's Private-£4130 Dealer retail £5160

I realise that they are not very numerous compared to the hatchbacks, and therefore harder to sample prices for, but can that really account for the wild variations in the quoted prices? What's going on here, and how am I to arrive at a price without getting skinned? If I were to go for a Main dealer, or alternatively an Independent, which of these figures, which vary by 1.5K, should I take notice of the most, and would I be better off waiting a month or two until more come on the market?

Ford Focus Estate - confusing price guides - unthrottled

1.) make yourself a large mug of coffee.

2.) Go on to autotrader, select the criteria (age, mileage price, private/trade etc) that match what you want. Also select the 200 mile radius in order to give you the largest sample size.

3.) of the cars that come up, note down all the asking prices. Divide by the number of cars in the sample. That is the market price.

4.) Reduce the radius to however far you are willing to travel and resubmit the search

5.) Go and view some cars!

IMO, Parkers estimated prices are rather optimistic (high). I wouldn't pay more than £4k from a dealer for a 1.6 Focus estate. They are plentiful and not highly sought after. Cheap motoring though.

Ford Focus Estate - confusing price guides - Bobbin Threadbare

I'm with unthrottled there; Autotrader gives you an idea of what people are willing to pay for used cars. Also I have passed many an otherwise boring afternoon on there, looking at cars I would like to buy in the future..........(dreams a bit).

Ford Focus Estate - confusing price guides - unthrottled

(dreams a bit).

Time for Mr B's Celica to get a kicking...

Ford Focus Estate - confusing price guides - fiddlestick
3.) of the cars that come up, note down all the asking prices. Divide by the number of cars in the sample. That is the market price.

IMO, Parkers estimated prices are rather optimistic (high). I wouldn't pay more than £4k from a dealer for a 1.6 Focus estate. They are plentiful and not highly sought after. Cheap motoring though.

How does that compute, Unthrottled? That only gives you the asking price, not the deal price.

You say Parkers are optimistic in their pricing and then say you'd pay pretty much exactly what Parkers quoted, which is pretty much the same as the CAP price. Surely it's Glass's that are wildly optimistic (yes, I know, =high), by quoting over £1000 more, and yet that quote was £3.95 too. Surely it must have some credence?

Ford Focus Estate - confusing price guides - tomstickland

Because the average asking price is a reasonably good indication of the market value of something when there's a decent supply of them.

Ford Focus Estate - confusing price guides - Roly93

Agreed, this site is realistic however:-

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/used-car-prices/

Ford Focus Estate - confusing price guides - grimep

I've been watching Focus estate (08/09) prices closely for the last few months, including visiting auctions, and checking online ads every day. All the estates I've seen were around £1k more than the equivalent hatchback. I saw an 09 Zetec 1.6 petrol with 10k on the clock for £6999 at one garage in the midlands. There's some great value out there at the moment.

Ford Focus Estate - confusing price guides - Roly93

However some of these advertised cars are 'bait' and either never existed or are long since sold. The idea being get you in to talk about other stuff !!