Merc Diesel - Marcos{P}
I have just picked up a new Mercedes E320 CDI and am extremely pleased with it apart from one small problem.
When the engine has warmed and you have the window down you can hear a ticking noise when pulling away that sounds like a manifold leak.
I pointed this out to the local dealer and after 3 hours of listening they have decided that the noise is the No.1 cylinder firing and can be heard because the cylinder wall at the front of the block is thinner than the rest to make room for the timing chain and other ancillaries.
I was a little shocked that Mercedes would produce an engine that would have this problem so whilst in Stuttgart yesterday picking up my Dads new E320 CDI I asked them the question.
They laughed and said it sounds like a manifold or injector problem and that the dealer should be able to sort this fairly easily.
My dealer is now saying that the engineers in Stuttgart have told them that all E320 CDIs have this problem with the cylinder wall. The one problem here is the fact that my dads car is identical and makes no ticking noise whatsoever.

I need help. What action should I take next ?
Merc Diesel - Mike H
The one problem here is the fact that my
dads car is identical and makes no ticking noise whatsoever.
I need help. What action should I take next ?

Easy - wheel both cars along to your dealer at the same time. Demonstrate the difference. Ask *them* to explain why one does, and one doesn't, tick.

I culd, of course, take it off your hands for £50 if you are desperate....:o)
Merc Diesel - Marcos{P}
I asked for this explanation this morning and was told that some engines make more noise than others.

£50! it's got leather.>> >> The one problem here is the fact that my
>> dads car is identical and makes no ticking noise whatsoever.
>>
>> I need help. What action should I take next ?
>>
>>
Easy - wheel both cars along to your dealer at the
same time. Demonstrate the difference. Ask *them* to explain
why one does, and one doesn't, tick.
I culd, of course, take it off your hands for £50
if you are desperate....:o)

Merc Diesel - Dizzy {P}
If the cylinder block has been designed with a thin wall in one particular place and this is causing the ticking, surely this would apply to ALL such engines? I could understand the differences if the thin wall thickness was due to core shift when the cylinder block was cast, i.e. it was meant to be thick but turned out thin.

You could take a look at www.mercedesproblems.com/ and see if the problem is listed there. I would advise anyone thinking of buying a Mercedes to check that site before they part with their money.
Merc Diesel - Dizzy {P}
Marcos,
I've just remembered that the 'mercedesproblems' website is mostly American so diesels probably don't feature highly in it.
Merc Diesel - JL
Marcos,

I own a 2 year old C 200K still under warranty.

I had a problem on this car relating to incorrectly set (At the factory) wheel tracking both front and rear. Although helpful, my local agent, in touch with MB UK, was unable to compensate for four knackered tyres. (the car registering at that time just over 10K miles)

I pursued the problem via the MB UK web site and by additional telephone calls to MB, and found them sympathetic and helpful. Eventually they replaced two of my tyres.

A visit to an alternative MB main agent to ascertain their view may help, particularly if you can compare your car with an identical model that they have in stock. Your tenacity together with considered argument will be helpful.

Regards,

Julian Lindley
Merc Diesel - drbe
I have a 320 CDI (auto) and have no such problem, the engine is a little noisier when cold and at lower speeds, but otherwise no disconcerting noises. It is 2001 vintage. I should go to the dealer, find a different salesman and ask for a test drive in a diesel and see if there is any difference. Let us know how you get on.
regards drbe Don