Registration recording in car parks - Robin
I have just been to my local supermarket and saw a bloke tapping my registration number into a fancy hand held computer when I came out. I have seen this a number of times and in a number of places. I asked him what he was doing and he explained he was checking people did not park for more than 2 hours. He was not employed directly by Tesco but but a car park company (Euro Parks or soemthing like that). Does anyone know if these characters have to be registered under the Data Protection Act? I think they might be as they are using a computer to store personal data?
Registration recording in car parks - Dwight Van Driver
Whilst not being totally au fait with this Act there is an argument that this is permitted as personal data processed for the following is exempt:

the prosecution of offenders (S29 (1) (b) DPA)

the collection of any duty of or any imposition of a similar nature (S29 (1)(c)DPA)

DVD
Registration recording in car parks - Citroënian {P}
Would it not be the case that they cannot keep records of your visit beyond what is reasonable? i.e. if you've left within 2 hours, there's no need to retain the info.

DPA principles from gov.uk:
* fairly and lawfully processed;
* processed for limited purposes;
* adequate, relevant and not excessive;
* accurate;
* not kept longer than necessary;
* processed in accordance with the data subject's rights;
* secure;
* not transferred to countries without adequate protection.

Lee

Registration recording in car parks - wowbagger
I rather think that it would not come under the DPA, as the registration number does not identify an individual.
Registration recording in car parks - BrianW
I would agree that the DPA would not apply until the point at which the registration number was linked to the name and address of the registered keeper.
It should also be noted that the DPA now applies to manual records as well as computerised.
Registration recording in car parks - Citroënian {P}
I remember now why I'm not a lawyer. My head is hurting...

I'd forgotten that it must be personal data - I suppose a car will pinpoint a person (when linked as Brian says) but not until that point.

It seems to me that they shouldn't keep the data - after all, could they use this to build a picture of a car's movements?

I know TrafficMaster don't retain data. Wonder if that's because it's not allowed? Is this a similar scenario?

Would be interested if anyone knew.

Lee.

Registration recording in car parks - Rob C
There's a certain person, not a million miles from me right now, and possibly her mother, who could easily spend 2 hours in a supermarket, especially the ones with cafes attached.
Registration recording in car parks - lezer
Are you fined and/or clamped if you stay to long?. I often call at my local supermarket in the morning to buy a paper and can spend upwards of 20 mins before leaving, long enough to get my number taken. My argument is, If they didn't see me leave and I returned Three hours later to buy a packet of peas could they clamp me, Stating I've used the car park more than 2 hours. It makes me not want to use this supermarket more than once a day. It is in my opinion that they are shooting themselves in the foot, Only at Christmas is the car park full.
Registration recording in car parks - geoffken
Unfortunately some people use car parks as cheap park and ride.
Tesco Newcastle is right next door to Metro (tram ) station Ideal for trip into Necastle.
Also used on Sat Sun for free paerking for football/rugby matches.
Data transmitted at end of day and computer spits out overstayers and issues fines?? and presumably if you refuse to pay you are bailiffed
Parking & riding - Citroënian {P}
>>Tesco Newcastle is right next door to Metro (tram ) station Ideal for trip into Necastle

Kingston Park, I assume. Not really thought about it until you mention it, but it would be very convenient when visiting the Toon, now I'm living elsewhere.

Can't see I'm too keen on leaving the car at Heworth and taking the park & ride from there - not sure how much car I'd return to...

I always found West Jesmond metro a useful comprimise on waiting in traffic/getting into town, but last time I was there someone had gone mad with a tin of double yellow line paint...

Lee.
Registration recording in car parks - eMBe {P}
How can collecting car plate numbers be an infringement of data protection. The car plate is publicly visible to all and sundry, it is not private, and anyone can write it down and keep it for as long as they like - it does not matter whether it is on a computer or notepad. The only reason the data will be wiped from the "portable computer" is that at the end of any use for it as possible evidence, there is no reason to store junk data.

This business of "protecting privacy" is geting a bit paranoid, just witness the hoo-ha about not being able to film/photograph schoolchildren's nativity plays. Soon, you won't be able to take anyone's photographs anywhere in any public place - except in a studio or in your home. Just imagine: no more "you've been framed", or holiday videos, or sports day videos, or police car chases, or football matches - the joy of a normal life again without all the tourists taking videos/photos everywhere. All this jsut because you might record someone's number plate on film and it would be against Data Protection laws.
Registration recording in car parks - Dynamic Dave
The car plate is publicly visible to all and sundry,
it is not private, and anyone can write it down and
keep it for as long as they like.....

As with train spotting, where you always see the Anorak nerds at the side of railways with their pocket notebooks, taking train numbers.