VW Passat Estate 2.00 TDI AUto Sport - Passat - Possible Turbo Problem - sqygle

My 2005 "pulls back" when accelerating up a hill, or when accelerating hard on the flat. There is no noticeable black smoke, or fault codes appearing. Someone has suggested that it could be a turbo problem. I wonder if any members have any thoughts on the subject?

VW Passat Estate 2.00 TDI AUto Sport - Passat - Possible Turbo Problem - unthrottled

Check the technical forum for turbo overspeed problem.

VW Passat Estate 2.00 TDI AUto Sport - Passat - Possible Turbo Problem - Avant

Moved to Technical.

VW Passat Estate 2.00 TDI AUto Sport - Passat - Possible Turbo Problem - Railroad.

Does the fault restore itself if you switch off the ignition and restart the engine? If so I'd suspect the variable vane ring in the turbo has become stuck with carbon and soot. If not the MAF could be at fault. Both can be easily identified with VCDS. Check the VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat forums to see if anyone near you has VCDS. Most will help in excahnge for a few beer tokens.

VW Passat Estate 2.00 TDI AUto Sport - Passat - Possible Turbo Problem - sqygle

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am very pleased to confirm that the problem appears to have been resolved.

As the car was due for a 60,000 mile major service, I booked it in with a VW dealer, with a request to check the "pulling back" fault. When they returned the car to me, I was told that the firm had not had time to check the fault and it would have to be taken back to them at a later date, which I thought was very inefficient of them (especially as they are 1 hours drive from my home). What they did not notice was the fact that, after the service the problem had dissapeared.

I guess I may have saved a considerable amount of money, had the "fault" been turbo related, although I am surprised that the firm did not take the trouble to do a quick check/diagnostic prior to the service. But there again, they are are VW dealers!