Mercedes C Class Sports Coupe ( auto ) 2002 - Transmission Fluid Change - Scotty Doug
Hi, I am trying to find out if my Mercedes should have the transmission fluid changed. I am about to get it serviced by my local trusted garage and have heard mixed answers regarding the transmission fluid change, some say should be changed, others say should only be changed if there is a fault, Can anyone help???
Mercedes C Class Sports Coupe ( auto ) 2002 - Transmission Fluid Change - madf

Mercedes in the 1970s- early 1990s made gearbox oil changes on auto cars a maintenance item. Typically gearboxes lasted the car life.

Then in the 1990s they switched to "sealed for life". No maintenance. Gearboxes started failing around 100k miles.

They then brought in oil changes again..

Some models have no fill holes and you need to use special tools to refill the boxes.

(Lexus - who make much more reliable cars - always specify gearbox oil changes. I wonder why?)

Edited by madf on 23/06/2011 at 15:19

Mercedes C Class Sports Coupe ( auto ) 2002 - Transmission Fluid Change - daveyjp

Merc owners club website will give excellent advice. A few independent Merc mechanics post on there and they know their stuff. General advice for any auto box is to get the fluid changed regardless of what the manufacturer says.

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/

Edited by daveyjp on 23/06/2011 at 20:14

Mercedes C Class Sports Coupe ( auto ) 2002 - Transmission Fluid Change - Collos25

I would hardly say merc autoboxes were unreliable plenty of taxis in Germany with around 1million km on the original gearbox and oil.

Mercedes C Class Sports Coupe ( auto ) 2002 - Transmission Fluid Change - jc2

About the only similarity between German taxis and the cars sold to the public is the external body-shape.Many of the components on the taxi are designed for heavy duty and longer life.Some members of the publc buy taxi-spec vehicles because of this and also, the prices are more competitive tho' options are limited.