Any - Marketing speak - when reality departs - WellKnownSid

Browsing the Skoda Yeti microsite, I stumbled across this nugget of engineering know-how when referring to the new Greenline II model...

A turbocharged four-cylinder diesel engine with direct high-pressure fuel injection and a solid particle filter significantly contributes to the car’s top-quality handling.

Could any members please enlighten me as to the specific handling merits of the Diesel Particulate Filter? Is this a feature of all DPFs or only VAG ones? ;)

Any - Marketing speak - when reality departs - Bobbin Threadbare

You want unthrottled to answer this one; this kind of thing incenses him!

Shame they can't invent a marketing drivel filter....

Any - Marketing speak - when reality departs - Armstrong Sid

If anyone comes up with one (and I hope they do one day) most of the advertising/marketing/management industry would be out of a job.

Any - Marketing speak - when reality departs - 659FBE

Come on Lads, it all makes perfect sense. VAG are to be congratulated on their clear thinking:

DPF gets blocked, car stops. This gives the absolute ultimate in safe and predictable handling.

Time to sack a spotty youth in M-K.

Any - Marketing speak - when reality departs - WellKnownSid

Reading further, the same piece also says:

with ease meets the demanding EU5 emissions standard (CO2 emissions of only 119g/km)

EU5 covers just CO2 now does it? There was me thinking it covered particulate matter and NOx... but then maybe that's handling related stuff now? Oh, my brain hurts... it's all too much.

Still, I think the Brake Energy Recuperation has to be the most interesting development:

When the car slows down, the alternator “produces” more electrical energy than the appliances need, so the surplus is stored in a battery.

I particularly like the quotes around the word "produces". It subtley, and without any obvious talking down to the audience, deals with the important subtext that no mere car-buying mortal could possibly understand a concept as deeply complicated and technical as, um, "electrical energy". People - know your limits!

Edited by WellKnownSid on 19/06/2011 at 12:44

Any - Marketing speak - when reality departs - unthrottled

Wasn't there just such a PR puff piece from Renault floating around these hallowed pages only a couple of weeks ago...

...If I remember correctly it was supposed to use a high percentage of EGR in order to 'recombust' the exhaust gases to improve and efficiency and emissions. And yes Bobbin, I was incensed!

Then there was some confused gibberish about under/over square engines. It really was a dreadful piece I'm afraid!

Any - Marketing speak - when reality departs - oldroverboy

Like The salesman who just told me that the car I was looking at Had "80 years of history behind it" and it was a real "bargain" at 17,000 pounds, and that I would be buying a unique piece of "British Motoring Heritage".... Not a bad effort for a chinese built bit of junk with a famous or infamous if you like british badge on it. And some of the stuff I have heard over the years in a similiar vein. I once upset a senior salesman by asking for the right to another car if my new purchase broke down more than 3 times in the first month. Request denied, so went elsewhere, and now a confirmed korean customer.

Any - Marketing speak - when reality departs - 1litregolfeater

I think the guy must have been handling as he caressed the keyboard, where do they get them from?

Any - Marketing speak - when reality departs - TeeCee

Ah, well obviously a solid particle filter will weigh more than a conventional one with holes through it. That adds to weight low down, lowers the car's centre of gravity and improves handling.

Simples ;-)

Nowhere near as impressive as the button on the dash that causes waterfalls to spring from adjacent buildings though.....