Tools in the Boot - geoff1248

Many moons ago I used to carry quite a selection of tools in the boot on the chance that my old cars would break down. Socket set, screw drivers, spare spark plug, monkey wrench, foot pump etc. Nowadays I carry nothing except the spare wheel and jack.

What tools do you guys now carry around?

Tools in the Boot - Bobbin Threadbare

Battery charger, jack, locking wheel nut, adjustable spanner, water, footpump and there's still anti-freeze in there from the snows!

Tools in the Boot - Pizza man

Locking wheel nut key, gunk for wheels if i get a puncture and a foot pump as the cans never have enough gas in them. (LPG uses spare wheel well.)

Tools in the Boot - craig-pd130

One of those Poundland kits that comprise a magnetic screwdriver handle and various bits (flat, crosshead, Torx, Allen) that slot into the handle, for tightening screws / fittings that may work loose; and a 7mm combination open-end & ring spanner for securing intercooler hose clips.

Having had turbodiesels for the past 9 years, the only roadside problem I've had was an intercooler hose blowing off (on a Passat).

Tools in the Boot - veryoldbear

Decent jack and spider, rather than rely on the comedy kit that comes with the car. I have also ditched the spacesaver spare and have a proper matching spare. Yeah, I know it weighs, but we go to France a lot and I can't be having with the silly stuff ....

Tools in the Boot - dieseldogg
Tool boxs & a Trunk Monkey.
Never travel without one.

Edited by dieseldogg on 17/06/2011 at 11:37

Tools in the Boot - NARU

Landcruiser: Full size spare wheel (underneath), bottle jack, extending wheel nut brace, 2 x warning triangles (needed in France as I tow a caravan), disposable gloves and hand cleaner, 2xreflective jackets (also for France - but not in the boot). Toyota tool tray in the boot. Greenflag card. several torches.

MX-5: puncture repair kit and greenflag card! Oh and there's a mini toolkit as well (mazda supplied)

Tools in the Boot - unthrottled

spark plug socket.

Tools in the Boot - bathtub tom

Spare wiper blade. Have you ever had yours nicked?

Tools in the Boot - unthrottled

No-must be just where you live ;)

Seriously though, a stolen wiper blade could render one immobile. Some good ideas cropping up.

Tools in the Boot - SlidingPillar

Depends on the car, but always the basics.

Vintage one has a chain repair kit, a chain tool, assorted AF and Whitworth spanners, screwdrivers (smallish and big), mole grips, adjustable spanner (carried in all cars), and a spark plug spanner. Assorted spare nuts and bolts, spare spark plugs (in holder) and the bodger's delight, cable ties.

Tools in the Boot - turbo11

GUILTY AS CHARGED- As a former motosport mechanic I am ashamed to say that I have nothing in my boot other than the car jack and socket (£8000 worth of Snap-on tools in my garage!) I just have my phone to ring the RAC (3 years free with my cars warranty). In my defence I can say that other than punctures (which I have fixed at the roadside),in 31 years of driving I have never had a problem with any of my cars away from home. Once the warranty is ended then i won't even bother with the RAC. Either lucky or my servicing and maintenance regime is still working ok.

I have probably just cursed myself but I have never needed to do any roadside maintenance...! I know how to and have helped to change a wheel but would definitely struggle on my own due to the sheer force needed to do it; I don't think I'm strong enough. I do keep my basic maintenance up though; oil and fluid checks, tyres etc.

Tools in the Boot - Doc

Decent jack, torch, hi vis jacket, and membership card for Autoaid!

www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/index.php

Tools in the Boot - hillman

Subaru Outback tools plus...

Torch, tyrepump, various pressure gauges, towrope, screwdriver set, complete set of wiper blades, two wire coathangers, combination plyers - knife - thingy, set of pieces of carpet for icy patches (for other people's use), big sheet of polythene.

Carpet is a smart idea. I've got towels in lieu of carpet and they certainly came in handy over the winter for getting over icy patches and covering the windscreen.

Tools in the Boot - Pete Mansell

Still have a box with basic hand tools, plus lots of odd nuts and bolts - you never know what may fall off! It's been years since Ive needed any of these for the car, but they have often come in handy when visiting parent's or friends houses or camping, when someone needs running repairs.

Tools in the Boot - Bilboman

Not really a tool, but a spare clutch cable (Murphy's Law being what it is..) - vital for driving in a country which drives on the opposite side of the road!

Shotgun and body bag, for when the accumulation of nearly 30 years of road rage causes me to finally snap.

Only joking - wouldn't know one end of a clutch cable from the other. :-)

LOL Bilboman!

I've got a coffee mug that says something like 'don't annoy me - I'm running out of places to hide the bodies'....