Passat 1.9 tdi - Buying advice? - herald
Hi I am looking for some advise tomorrow I am viewing a 54 plate passat 1.9 tdi 130, I know a bit about buying cars but not alot about vw cars.
It has done 77k with full vw history, what should I be looking for?is this engine likely to have injector issues? What is the timing belt schedules? Hope someone can help me out this is going up against a 07 Mondeo tdci
Kind regard
Herald
Passat 1.9 tdi - Buying advice? - Big John

Should pull like a steam train and easilly do 50mpg - great engine.

Should have the reliable Bosch injectors (can have injector wiring loom issue - easyish fix) and because its a 1.9 it wont have the horrendous oil pump failure issue of the 2.0. Cam belt i on all VWs at this age is now 4years/40,000 - also worth changing water pump at the same time. Always check the spec of the oil!!

Watch for wet carpets as the drain ducts near the battery can block or pollen filter seal can cause problems. Ultimately can cause major electrical issues.

Front suspension can have wear issues - my Skoda Superb with the same running gear fine at 110k.

All in all a good car.

The Mondeo is a great car new but at this age with mileage can have major fuel injection problems - Case hardening issue in fuel pump causes metalic debris creating havoc with injectors etc.. Very very expensive and difficult to put right. You can change injectors to have them fail a short time after because the original problem not sorted. Front and rear suspension can also have wear issues.

Passat 1.9 tdi - Buying advice? - 659FBE

Good advice above - not a lot to add.

The best inline PD engine is the 1.9 130 which is designated AWX. This will have Bosch injectors, an 8 valve head and no balance shaft system with its associated drive problems (including the oil pump). The only thing this engine needs other than careful maintenance is the correct oil.

Cambelts are not a problem on this engine and the "4 year rule" is a VAG UK scam. Follow the instructions printed in the service book supplied with the vehicle.

Water ingress is the Achilles heel of the Passat - remove plenum drain bungs and replace outer pollen filter holder seal with mastic strip. Google "wierd little biscuit".

Given careful maintenance attending to design weaknesses, these cars are very durable and will run to starship mileages. The economy and performance are excellent.

Cheaper as a Mk 1 Skoda Superb though...

Passat 1.9 tdi - Buying advice? - Big John

Indeed, my Superb has been great. Now 110k and only real failure was an alternator and it devours headlight bulbs(well once a year!).

I think the "4 year rule" for cambelts was brought inbecause of the 1.4&1.6 16V petrol engines (obviously pre cam chain) which was fitted with plastic pulleys/tensioners that were lucky to survive 4 years! I still also have an old 1.416V 2001 Octavia which nearly expired at 52k due to cambelt/tensioner failure - caught in time (just!) as I fortunately investigated a slight rattle. Still going strong at 100k, likes higher octane petrol though.

The plastic tensioner wheels made by FAG and fitted to some of the VAG petrol engines were, indeed rubbish.

The diesels however, have always had steel idlers and the later PDs have a tensioner made by Litens (Canada) which is fitted with the very best Japanese ball bearings.

The weak link in the timing drive is the water pump - fit an aftermarket replacement with a metal impeller. All of the timing drive components I removed from my AWX Superb at 5 years/60k were in pristine condition. I will let this belt and associated components run for longer. Use the Contitech kit from ECP.

The most important aid to cheap running of a Passat/Superb is to be fully aware of the (rather too many) design weaknesses and to address them yourself - or find a good and interested Independent to do it for you.

The use of VAG dealers will in my experience, result in a premature lightening of the wallet and an early death of the product.

Thanks for the replies so far how will I know it has the bosch injectors, is the awx number part of the vin?

Edited by herald on 27/05/2011 at 01:02

AWX is the engine build identifier and uniquely identifies the engine. The letters will be found on a paper label on the cambelt cover, on a label stuck to the inside of the spare wheel well in the boot and on the inside front cover of the service book.

The boot and book labels also give the output of the engine in kW (divide by 0.746 for BHP) and all the options fitted as 3 letter codes.

The AWX is an "old" 1.9 engine and will have Bosch injectors. If you're shopping, the 10th digit of the VIN gives the true model year. Good hunting.

Passat 1.9 tdi - Buying advice? - Chad.R

Slightly OT but is the AWX engine fitted to the Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy of the early to mid '00s ??

Thanks in advance.

Passat 1.9 tdi - Buying advice? - craig-pd130

Which model is it, S, SE or Sport? The S models had steel wheels with trims, SEs had alloys and a 5-speed manual box, Sports had 1" lower suspension, 16" alloys, 3-spoke steering wheel, a 6-speed manual box and the AVF version of the 1.9 TDI motor -- same power but very slightly higher torque (310nm versus 285nm).

I had a 2003 Sport PD130 with 6-speed box for 5 years, great car.

Hi been and had a look this morning it has the Awx engine,it was highline spec, was quite impressed quality seemed better than the 07 Mondeo.having a think tonite and will decide tomorrow any thoughts towards my decision would be appreciated
Cheers herald
Passat 1.9 tdi - Buying advice? - oldtoffee

Following the excellent advice from the well informed here, I went through the exact same process 6 weeks ago and looked at quite a few cars before ending up with a 2005 AWX Passat Trendline estate, 5 main dealer services, 54k miles. All the Superbs I looked at were 100k miles+ and none had a good or full service history whereas there were loads of Passats to choose from. Not sure about the Superbs being noticeably lower priced than Passats I found them pretty equal - I reckon a lot of people now know they're very good. I've done almost 4,000 miles in the 6 weeks I've had it and it is averaging 54mpg - it will show high 60s if you drive between 60 and 70 on the motorway. Comfy car, supple ride, rocks and rolls in the corners and is less lumpy and thrummy than some people say the PD unit is (IMO). The 5 speed gearbox ratios seem perfect and its a nice positive gear change too. I've had the drain holes unblocked and the pollen filter resealed and an oil change.

Passat 1.9 tdi - Buying advice? - craig-pd130

Highline spec is good, you certainly get all the toys.

Thanks to you all had another drive today and bought it just got to have it's mot. Can collect next week,
Thanks herald

Hi we picked car up yesterday and think we made the right choice between the options we had, it drives lovely and with all the toys i think its going to be a good car to own

cheers herald