Peugeot 106 Diesel - Oil in Water - Birdlady

I am getting oil sludge in the water header tank on my Peugeot 106 Diesel, I am not getting water in the oil. I assumed this would be a blown head gasket but there is no loss of power and there is no white condensation in exhaust. Is there any other way oil can get in the water apart from a blown head gasket, I do not have an oil cooler.

Val

Peugeot 106 Diesel - Oil in Water - unthrottled

Is it definitely an oily sheen and not just rusty coolant?

Oil pressure is usually higher than water pressure so if there's a breach between coolant and oil passages, it tends to be oil ending up in the coolant than vice versa. With oil in coolant, I would suspect a crack in the cylinder head somewhere-this wouldn't cause the usual symptoms of a blown H/G-condensation in exhaust/low power etc. Frankly there's not a lot that can be done-just take it easy and see how long you can keep it going. I kept a car going for a few months with this condition and, apart from needing to top up the oil, it ran fine.

Many thanks for your sugestion of cracked head, not what I want to here. Contamination is definitley oil sludge, globuals of it and covering header tank filler cap,, and not rust.

Peugeot 106 Diesel - Oil in Water - davmal
ot at
Peugeot 106 Diesel - Oil in Water - piston power

Take it to a garage for the hydrocarbons checked or compression test done to rule out the gasket or head.

Unsure if your has a oil cooler as these split and oil mixes is this a automatic?

Peugeot 106 Diesel - Oil in Water - unthrottled
Test for hydrocarbons will confirm that there is oil in the water-OP already knows that. It doesn't help determine the source of the oil. OP has already stated that there isn't an oil cooler fitted.
Peugeot 106 Diesel - Oil in Water - Peter D

Gasket fialue at the front left corner when the main oil feed enters the head and it is weeping oil into the waterway adjacent to it. I dounbt the head is cracked. Regards Peter

Hi Peter, Many thanks for that , sounds like a good possibility.

Val