BMW 1 Series - removing road wheels - slippy118

I need to check the rear brake pads so i've jacked the rear up under the diff, put axle stands under the rear side jack points, removed the bolts holding the wheels on, but the wheels wont come off. There must be something else securing the wheels something I've missed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BMW 1 Series - removing road wheels - Peter D

Corrosion. The wheels are mounted/centralised on a close fitting hub. This should be clean and smeared with copper ease. It sounds as if your are corroded and holding the wheel on. Remove one axle stand lower one side down to just a couple of mm off the ground, place a large block of wood, ( 6*6" ) and use a large lump hammer to 'nudge' the wheel off. If it is stubborn rotate the wheel 180 degrees and hit it again. Regards Peter

BMW 1 Series - removing road wheels - slippy118

Ok thanks your comments gave me the confidence to use some gentle leverage with a crowbar to get a little movement and then rotate the wheel a little and lever a little more till the wheel fell off. Looks like theres ablout 5mm of pad left on the outer and a view of the inner pad is made pretty well impossible by a metal plate, so I am going to replace the wheels for now and shop around for pads. Thanks for your help.

Do not buy cheap pads. Look on the BMW forums for recommendations. Regards Peter

BMW 1 Series - removing road wheels - gordonbennet

Agreed, get Textar pads from Eurocarparts or GSF, the same pad as from the dealer at about a third the price.

Textar are a good third party pads but they are not suppliers to BMW and are not OEM pads. Regards Peter

Peter, last set of rear pads bought for the 320 compact from the dealer parts dept were priced at just under £50.

Textar pads were in the box, and the identical numbered pads were bought from Eurocarparts for roughly £18.

You surprise me on that one. Textar rear set of pads for a 118 is £49.99 are the claipers not Lucas. Regards Peter

Couldn't for the life of me tell you, sorry.