Economical Automatic for high motorway mileage - harshanl
I will be averaging about 20,000 miles an year in the foreseeable future commuting to work on the motorway (70 miles round trip). Preferably need an automatic as left knee is dodgy post surgery.

Current car is a 54 plate Honda Jazz, which is fine apart from being noisy and unrefined on the motorway and a manual.

My priorities are bullet proof reliability (being a time-strapped doctor), low running costs (given the high mileage) and comfort on the motorway.

Have a budget of up to £13,000 and intend to buy a 2-3 year old second hand car. Either a good sized hatchback or saloon would be fine. Diesel would obviously be preferable, but an economic petrol or hybrid would be fine as well.

Any suggestions from the panel? All advice gratefully received.

Many Thanks,

Harshan
Economical Automatic for high motorway mileage - Dutchie

Hello harshani.

I drive a Ford Focus 1,6 TDCI the titanium model.We have had the car for nearly a year now.I find it comfortable to drive on the motorway.We just had a long drive to the south of France no back trouble. Some of the backroomers have had problems getting comfy in the Focus Try one out and see what you think you should get a decent motor in your price range.We had the Honda Jazz before the Focus nice reliable car, but the Focus feels more suited for motorway driving.Ours is the manual model I have not driven a auto Focus maybe somebody else could help out with this.

Economical Automatic for high motorway mileage - jamie745

I had a Focus petrol automatic a while back and the gearbox was very good, typical good Ford quality, they make very good autoboxes but on the whole i was underwhelmed all round by the car.

For that sort of money a Jaguar X Type 2.2D Auto could be on the cards and what is better? The Mondeo-derived Jaguar with all the goodies or the run of the mill Focus? Yes the X Type comes with a DPF on most of the diesels but for motorway driving it doesnt matter.

My Dad had an XJ6 many years ago and you could do a 300 mile trip, get out and feel like you're still at home.

Edited by jamie745 on 14/05/2011 at 17:17

Economical Automatic for high motorway mileage - retgwte

you could get brand new mazda 2 or hyundai i20 automatics for your budget, both have acceptable fuel economy and are good to drive the distance you have in mind

Economical Automatic for high motorway mileage - jamie745

They are a bit diddy though arent they, would be the only downside.

Economical Automatic for high motorway mileage - gordonbennet

Presumably you want a proper auto and not an automated manual from hell.

Your budget gets you some good cars, all Diesel automatics and all current model's.

In no particular order Avensis, Accord, Citroen C5, BMW 318/320, Cruze...lots more mainstream choices, but you may not have thought of these.

Your motorway commute isn't going to bring the benefits of Hybrid, but is perfect Diesel driving, long enough journey's to keep any DPF's clear.

I thought Doctor's ran Bentley's by the way..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/05/2011 at 20:52

Economical Automatic for high motorway mileage - newman

Got a new shape Toyota Avensis, diesel auto with all the 'toys'.

Has not been any trouble for the 16,000 miles I have had it (early days i know), but must be more reliable than the peugeot I had. Servicing is every 10,000 miles, and on motorway travels, should get at least 400 to the tank. Very smooth and refined so very comfertable for motorway driving.

Economical Automatic for high motorway mileage - injection doc

out of all the private and company cars I have had for comfort and economey combined with an auto had to be my Passat 2.0tdi highline DSG.

900 miles on a tank full and avg 58 mpg and I could drive it all day. did 120k in under three years ! tyres and brakes and one download to improve gearbox changes and a steering lock ! so not bad at all.

I dont have one now but I still miss the three passats I had for comfort and economey.

Economical Automatic for high motorway mileage - harshanl
Any views on the Ford Mondeo Diesel automatic or the Ford Focus Powershift Diesel?
Harshan
Economical Automatic for high motorway mileage - Big John

There used to be big issues with the Ford Focus Cmax Diesel auto gearbox failures, presumably not the same as the Powershift Diesel?