Kia Cee'd - Door locks on modern cars - Shugs

I recently had the displeasure of hiring a new Kia Cee'd diesel hatchback. Leaving aside my impressions of a fairly nasty and uncomfortable driving experience, the car did break down and the RAC had to be called. The fault was that the car would not unlock itself, even with the key in the door lock. Turning the key in the doorlock gave no feeling of a mechanism being activated, which I though was odd. The RAC managed to get into the car via a back window, and as soon as the key was in the ignition, and the car started, everything was fine. All the locks then worked as normal, so I am left thinking that in the Cee'd at least, there is no physical key locking mechanism in the door, rather just an electronic switch.

So, I am wondering how many other modern cars have this unhelpful design feature. As long as the battery is not dead and that there are no electronic gremlins, this is fine, but I'd rather have a system that allows me into the car irrespective of what might be wrong with its electrics.

Kia Cee'd - Door locks on modern cars - oldroverboy

No experience of this, but suggest you ask your dealer to check if a fault code is stored, but if there is a keylock on the door it should open using a key. get it checked before it's out of warranty. one of my previous koreans would unlock/lock itself flash the hazards when using the remote OR key and that seemed to be incurable. it was approaching 3 yrs, had engine running problems so traded it in.

let us know if you get sorted.

Kia Cee'd - Door locks on modern cars - Graham567

No experience of this, but suggest you ask your dealer to check if a fault code is stored, but if there is a keylock on the door it should open using a key. get it checked before it's out of warranty. one of my previous koreans would unlock/lock itself flash the hazards when using the remote OR key and that seemed to be incurable. it was approaching 3 yrs, had engine running problems so traded it in.

let us know if you get sorted.

The OP did state that he hired the car so therefore its not his problem.
Kia Cee'd - Door locks on modern cars - oldroverboy

The OP did state that he hired the car so therefore its not his problem.

Videodoctor, nice to see you are nice and pedantic, but I didn't see hired.. same advice to anyone, presume the hire car people called the breakdown services, but advice still stands. there would be less questions on these forums if some people who obviously have cars still under warranty bothered to ask their dealers first. I can thoroughly recommenf FRF chevrolet in swansea as a case in point for being helpful when i had some problems recently. problem not covered by warranty, but no charge sir for spending 20 minutes on car, giving me some advice and not charging me £1.50 for the fuse. I was quite happy to return a bit later with 6 bottles of wine for them. (AND i didn't even buy the car from them!)

Op asked a question. answer if there is a key and a doorlock to put it in, of course it should open manually.

Kia Cee'd - Door locks on modern cars - Shugs

My point here is that I suspect some car manufacturers are doing away with the expense of physical key operated door locks and allowing the central locking to the job instead (which may be good for security). That's fine when everything works, but not otherwise (as with the Cee'd hire car), or when the car's battery is dead.

My theory is given more weight by the fact that, once the Cee'd had recovered its electronic wits, the key operated door lock worked fine again, but still without any feeling of a key mechanism being turned.

Kia Cee'd - Door locks on modern cars - Death51

It wouldn't stop me buying a car, its the same as the VW Passat a friend broke down at a set of traffic lights and as it had an electronic handbrake the car would not move as it locked on ! She had to sit there causing havoc on a hill until the RAC came !

Kia Cee'd - Door locks on modern cars - colinh
The problem is more complex than just unlocking the doors, as the immobiliser and/or alarm have to be taken into account in most cases.

Having never used the key in the locks on my last three cars over the last 8 or 9 years, I tried to unlock my cee'd with the key yesterday and the doors opened OK, but the alarm sounded. I'm exploring that one!