BCA private buyers fees - daveyK_UK

friend purchased car from auction, £900 hammer price.

£265 buyers fee and now £26 to send of V5.

scandalous.

It has put me right of going back to BCA in 2 months time when the lease car goes back; are Mainheim cheaper and if so how much (on average/percentage)?

BCA private buyers fees - justadriver

Old Chestnut? when your friend goes to Tesco does he look at the prices or just wait for the unpleasant surprise at the till. Same principal if you were buying from a dealer, On the road cost is what counts. presumably you got a car cheaper at auction, and equally it was what you wanted. Now you know it's ok for next time. Ask mannheim or look it up online. These are all geared up for the "trade" and one punter buying the odd car will obviously pay more. Have looked at buying from auction but not my thing, so each to his own and to everyone.......... ASK first. then make an informed decision.

BCA private buyers fees - Ben 10

You state buying at auction is not your thing. So I presume you've never bought at BCA or any other auction. So how can you give advice or comment on the OP. He was looking for experience of both auction houses and you give the benefit of your "experience". I.E. None.

Well I've been using BCA in all its previous guises for 20 years and all the fees and other bits you pay out for are getting extortionate. They make money out of everything they can. Sometimes the hammer price with fees is no cheaper than private. I've not used Manheim, but have a look. They must be competing somehow for trade. Even the trade gets stung at BCA.

You state buying at auction is not your thing. So I presume you've never bought at BCA or any other auction. So how can you give advice or comment on the OP. He was looking for experience of both auction houses and you give the benefit of your "experience". I.E. None.

Well I've been using BCA in all its previous guises for 20 years and all the fees and other bits you pay out for are getting extortionate. They make money out of everything they can. Sometimes the hammer price with fees is no cheaper than private. I've not used Manheim, but have a look. They must be competing somehow for trade. Even the trade gets stung at BCA.

The point I was making is that if you know what the charges are you can make an informed decision. Personally i have 25+ years experience of both sides of the motor trade and if someone doesn't like the charges that they know about they don't have to pay (take their business elsewhere!). and to me it looked like the OP was whingeing (my words) about the prices he had to pay in fees. Is he a private buyer or "private trader" i read lots of "stories" on these and other pages and read one about a "private buyer/seller" complaining to honest john about fees and being roundly rebuffed for wanting the benefits of being a trader and yet complaing about being charged as a private seller, the same person also had an issue with trade plates... BCA are a business not a charity so if anyone doesn't want to do business on their terms thet are free to do otherwise. BCA exist because of the abominable state of the motor trade in the uk, the fact that RRP prices for new cars rarely bear any relationship to real prices and that everyone and his dog want something for nothing and dealers are stuck in the middle of this. Memory from my time in the motor trade at an upmarket dealers in Geneva. Customer, i want a discount, salesman : we don't sell them!

Yes personally I prefer and can afford to buy new/nearly new mid range cars with manufacturers warranty and abide by the conditions of that warranty and allow others to have the "fun" when i sell it when it develops a problem after the warranty expires. Example: lacetti1.6sw at 3 years old central locking faults/hazards flashing rough running, despite main dealer servicing, traded it in aginst another nearly new with nearly 3 years warranty.

you pays your money and makes your choice.

happy motoring

Edited by justadriver on 31/03/2011 at 14:33

Ben 10, forgot to add, started working in the motor trade at an auction in Queensferry, north wales at 16, driving cars through the auction ring, or sometimes pushing them...still attend auctions occasionally with friends here in south wales and still visit the Motor shows when i can, paricularly Geneva where I worked on the stand (at the show) of a now defunct british motor manufacturer while being a parts manager. And yes, still love mg's and rovers!

scandalous.

It has put me right of going back to BCA in 2 months time when the lease car goes back; are Mainheim cheaper and if so how much (on average/percentage)?

Manheim fees £1000-£1499 fee is £269 +vat about the same as bca, anyone can register online for a public account (it's free) and anyone can check online what the buyers and sellers charges are, for a member of the public (QUOTE) a sellers charge of £40+vat + 10% of sale price depending on the centre but if you call them they will tell you the costs in your area.

Well you finally got there ;-)

Thanks for the info. on Manheim. Why didn't you just answer his question in the first place in your first post and explain things instead of going round the houses.

As for BCA, they used to be straight forward. Buyers fee, sellers fee. Then they introduced excess parking fees on site. Then fees for log books. Charge too much for catalogues. And commission is over inflated. Obviously the trade get catalogues free, but the private buyers have their costs ramped up during the days auction. They can't drive away on the day like the trade, so they are over charged for parking.

Obviously the idea now is to put the private buyers off and concentrate on the trade.Or do the auction houses perpetuate a myth that any private buyer will bag a bargain. In my view they don't always.And are fleeced into the bargain. But a few years ago they were more than happy to court private sales hence the influx at sites which obviously annoyed the trade.

It appears now that BCA don't mind who they grab money from. See how much BCA makes in a year. You're right, they're no charity.

And didn't the OP have the wit to google manheim. So fly ryanair and see how they'll fleece you, but that is another story. Nothing is for free, Go to motorpoint, ask about a car that has to be brought from another depot and they'll charge you an extra £150 to get the car to you. the private buyer will always get hammered. Long gone are the days where you or I could buy an old banger cheap at auction. it continually amazes me how many people see a car and the brain closes down because that's the one they want, and forget to ask even the most basic questions, when there is a problem don't bother to get the trader to put it right under SOGA and then complain 6 months and 2 days later that they have been brushed off. but it's been the same since someone sold billy the kid a stolen horse... and since wheels started falling off hadrians 2nd hand 1 owner chariots,,,,

So what would you recommend the OP to do if he wants a relatvely new vehicle, low mileage and in grade 1-2 condition and wants it at or near book price. Private or auction?

some of the larger car supermarkets are good, just be sure of what you want, i was given a budget by a very good old friend (67 years old and not wise in the ways of world) to buy a newish car for him. Got him a chevrolet aveo 1.4 lt from Ron Skinners, south wales, admin fee dropped on negotiating, car was valeted AND serviced free of charge and delivered under cover in poor weather. all he had to do was give deposit over the phone and pay on delivery. But I crossed the t's and dotted the i's beforehand. balance of warranty (more than 2 years) and saved himself £4200 against list price. car had couple of thousand miles on it. he has had it now for 16 months and is very very happy. they also has brand new unregistered hyundai i30's for £8799. But each to his own, another friend will only buy new, my brother in law goes back to a main dealer every 3 years like clockwork and always gets a new car. and by that brand spanking new. and consequently pays for the privilege. Personally it is 10 years since i bought a brand new car, since the have gone down the not quite new route via car supermarket or main dealer if price right. Safe driving to all.

BCA private buyers fees - pd

I can assure you trade buyers are equally annoyed at the ever increasing BCA charges. They've ramped up everything this year - £40+VAT for an online bid for heaven's sake.

They were sold to a new owner last year (one private equity house to another) and my guess is they're trying to get as much cash out as possible before selling on.

Manheim are not much cheaper - there is something of a duopoly in UK car auctions and they tend to shadown each other but it always seem to be BCA which adds a cost first and Manheim follows a couple of months later.

Ben 10, final comment, if you are localish to slough, i have bought 5 cars for me and friends over the past 13 years, but they won't service them unless you pay,same for valeting, but sometimes will knock off the admin fee. I have never had a complaint about them.

Are you referring to a largish site on the Bath Road !

In response to an earlier post;

I was not complaining that the buyers fee was a suprise, i was complaining at the cost which has increased and as a result does not encourage private buyers.

I do share the view about auction prices being similar to private values; this is certainly the case below £2k.

BCA private buyers fees - Roly93

I gave up on auctions years ago but that said I didn';t realise it had gotten this bad. When I last bought at BCA there was an admin fee and an insurance indemnity fee if I remember rightly. To charge a buyers fee seems to fly in the face of 1000 years of the tradition of auctions. I thought the whole point of an auction is that the auctioneer got the best price possible room allowing, and the seller paid a commision for his services. To make a buyer pay for the priviledge of taking the risk of buying at auction is rip-off Britain all over.

Well as with a lot of other things in life at the moment, if we deny them our business they will have to sit up and take note, and this applies to any other rip-off merchants out there.

And if they go to the wall so be it..

BCA private buyers fees - Silwin
Get in touch with me if anyone of you want to buy from bca enfield or blackbushe. I can work out some discount. Info@kwik-clean.co.uk
BCA private buyers fees - expatsFL

Crikey, another source of buying a car out the window. Back in the late 80's/ealry 90's, I bought a few cars at blackbushe and cant remember being fleeced with $$$$$$ on top of the hammer price. Is it endemic over there now. Making plans to buy a nice car on our return to the UK and where to buy it. I must admit, some prices on Autotrader seem quite good in comparison to Ebay....Any stories on car Giant?

BCA private buyers fees - tobey

I bought first BCA car ten years back, was only £700 but buyers fee was £70 back then, thought that was high, now once you have added all extra fees auctions are no longer good value. Problem is dealers not much better, I had large car group wanting to charge to get car from another site, I walked out.

Used to change car twice year, decided to now keep what I've got, shame auctions just want money and more money.

BCA private buyers fees - 1litregolfeater

Last time I went to BCA I decided it wasn't worth it with their fees, as the cars were going for high prices anyway. Not all auction houses are a rip off, the smaller ones can be a better bet, especially on a match night!

Does anyone have an up to date list of fees?

BCA private buyers fees - tony g
Im a car retailer,I used to buy all my stock from sma and bca,

Not anymore ,if you compare the retail prices on auto trader ,with the prices that auctions achieve ,I't doesn't leave a profit .

Who buys cars from auction,?car supermarkets ? They Market cars on a monthly payment basis ,they advertise their site ,rather than individual cars ,sadly too many people look at the affordable monthly cost and not the total cost.

I buy my cars direct from private owners ,usually from e bay,auto trader ,or the local papers.Private owners rarely know how to sell a car,often they don't have cars valeted ,serviced,or mot,d.The other thing that allows me to sell the same cars is that I take part exchanges,

One final point .I don't subscribe to glasses guide anymore,the annual subscription is £500. It's just not accurate enough,I look at the cars retail price on auto trader before I buy a car or take a car in part exchange. I make an offer to purchase a car based on adding a profit to the cost of the car ,and then being able to offer the car on auto trader at a competitive retail price.

Forget the auctions ,the prices are ridiculous !

Tony g
BCA private buyers fees - pd

Just to add, BCA have ramped up their buyers fees quite considerably from Jan 1 - some by nearly 15%. They have also raised delivery costs by 10%.

BCA are owned by a private equity firm who bought them from another private equity firm. The main aim seems to be to extract as much cash and then sell on.

BCA private buyers fees - bluesntwos

Will just add my views to the mix. I am a private buyer and buy cars for my own or wife's use. We have bought five cars in total now from BCA since about 2005 and have always been happy but as has already been mentioned, the buyers fees for private individuals has become ridiculous. I bought a Mondeo from Belle Vue in April 2011. The hammer price was £1300 but the fees were £300 plus £26 for the logbook so a £1300 then becomes £1626 or very roughly another 25%+ on top of the hammer price. So for now, that's me done with BCA. I would rather now buy from a private seller on Autotrader or E-bay, etc and try and haggle if necessary to the price I want to pay.