2004 ford mondeo 1.8lx - loss of power under load - stuart4192

hi, quite new to this so here goes.

when at idle the car will tick over perfectly and can be revved all the way til it red lines all day long if i felt like it. However when u drive it the car will not go above 4000 revs and then the revs begin to drop off.

since this began its been to the garage 4 times and every time it is showing no dtc faults. The mechanics have so far changed the fuel filter, the spark plugs and the ignition coil.

they dont think its the fuel pump because the fault only shows up under load.

that didnt work so it went back again and they took the cap off the fuel tank incase it wasnt venting properly, they put a blanking plate on the egr valve incase that was at fault.

that didnt work either so they then had a look at the exhaust as it had recently had a new cat fitted and thought it may be blocked so they disconnected the exhaust at the downpipe and took it a drive but to no avail.

its now back at the garage again and today been checked for all the vacuum pipes and air leaks but everyone is completely stumped by this. its not only costing a lot in parts and labour but the car is also my wors vehicle so every day its off the road is money down the drain on a hire van, cant let go of this old beast just yet either as its done 208,000 happy miles and i'd like it to go a bit longer

any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by stuart4192 on 28/03/2011 at 16:13