Skoda Octavia - Engine underpowered after rebuild? - gary111
I've got a skoda octavia company car ( new shape-57 plate). The engine was rebuilt 14000 miles ago, ever since it was rebuilt theres no power in it, I've tried takin it back to our company garage that rebuilt it but they keep saying it's just because the parts are new and need to be worn in. The turbo sounds like it's working and kicks in when it should, ive taken it down the motorway and it will do 70+ but takes a long time to build up speed ( no chance of overtaking) I'd like to try and repair this myself if it's not too big of a job, I've read similar problems on the net which were down to cracked or loose turbo pipes or maf sensor. I've tried disconnecting the maf sensor and it makes no difference to the performance, but I don't know which pipes to check to see if there loose or cracked, could anyone advise where the pipes I need to check are or anything else I could try.

Thanks in advance.

Forgot to put it's a 1.9 turbo diesel

Edited by gary111 on 25/03/2011 at 23:24

Skoda Octavia - Engine underpowered after rebuild? - craig-pd130

Why was it rebuilt, what was the problem and what was replaced?

Is there a flashing (or permanently on) warning light that looks like an orange wire in the revcounter? If so, the engine control unit has stored one or more faults.

To be honest, you need to raise hell with the company garage, they're either not interested in solving the problem or haven't got a clue -- or both. 14,000 miles isn't running in, it's wearing out.

Skoda Octavia - Engine underpowered after rebuild? - bathtub tom

How much fuel is it using? Do you have an accurate measure of its consumption before and after the rebuild?

Skoda Octavia - Engine underpowered after rebuild? - injection doc

I 2nd that ! take it back and ask them to drive it on a motorway if it struggles at 70mph. They normally fly along.

Skoda Octavia - Engine underpowered after rebuild? - gary111
Thnks for the replys, the engine seized and needed to be rebuilt, I don't know what parts were changed but it took about a month to do because a part needed sending away. There's no lights on the dash at all, I know the engine management bulb works because it comes on when I disconnect the MAF sensor. It does use a bit more fuel but don't have an accurate reading. I do live in an area with a lot of hills for example there's a hill where I live that I used to be able to get up it in 4th at 1500rpm with a full car but now i have to go up it in 2nd at around 3000rpm and if I change to 3rd it will stall. Ive taken it back and the garage are just saying aslong as it runs then there's no problem as I can still use it.
Skoda Octavia - Engine underpowered after rebuild? - craig-pd130

If it's been rebuilt after a seizure, it means the cylinder head has been removed. I suspect that your mechanics have not reset the camshaft pulley wheel in the correct position when rebuilding the motor, which will in turn mess up the timing of the fuel injection.

On the 1.9 TDI engine in a 57-plate Skoda, the correct fuel injection pressure and timing relies on correct camshaft timing. A special tool has to be used when setting this to "index" the cam pulley in the right position. If it isn't in the right position, the engine will not run right and will not develop anywhere near the power it should do. It's simple and effective, but not idiot-proof.

Does the car smoke excessively? Blue (oil) smoke or black sooty diesel smoke? This would point to problems after the seizure.

From your description, I wouldn't trust those mechanics with a kid's tricycle. Ask them if they set the injection timing on the Skoda's PD motor using the special tool. I bet you'll get a blank look and blustering from them.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 26/03/2011 at 16:54