993 oil guzzler - 993lover
Just found this site and hope I can tap in to your expertise...my 97 993 Targa seems to be drinking oil at an alarming rate. Given, my driving probably doesn't help, but a litre every 1000 miles or so seems greedy. There's no leakage, and a full service 8 months ago at the main dealer failed to turn up anything unusual...has anyone else come across this problem before?

(and as an aside - does anyone have any major faults to look for in elderly Cherokees?)
993 oil guzzler - SjB {P}
Typing Porsche +Oil in to Google revealed the following information sources in a matter of seconds, with loads more to browse through:

Porsche originally wrote 'one litre per thousand kilometres' as an acceptable consumption figure in the driver's handbook, but this clause was removed in 1995.

www.p-car.com/ is a dedicated 993 site, of which robin.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airheads is a 993 discussion forum, where you can post your question.

www.pcarracing.homestead.com/fantrick.html has a trick to help the oil run cooler.

Good luck,
Steve
993 oil guzzler - doug_523i
My YZF750 Yamaha does about 900 miles per litre of semi-synthetic, so I wouldn't worry too much about your Porsche. Funnily enough I've never seen any smoke from the exhaust, yet the back of the bike needs regular cleaning to get the burnt oil stains off.
993 oil guzzler - doug_523i
On second thoughts, I haven't got a catalytic convertor, so maybe you do need to worry. It could explain Porsche dropping there advice.
993 oil guzzler - nick
Regarding Cherokees, the buyers guide on this site covers most things.
Check for groans, moans and leaks from the diffs and transfer box, the fluids should be changed regularly and often aren't. The clutch pack can go on the limited-slip diff if it's had a lot of use offroad.
The exhaust manifold (on the 4 litre)is of welded steel construction and can break the welds. Happened to my '96 and dealers want over £700 to replace it. Had mine taken off, welded and put back on for £70 plus the cost of a gasket by a local mechanic.
Check all the grease points on the front suspension look as though they've seen a grease gun recently - a good indication of how well it's been serviced.
Have a look at www.jeepclub.co.uk and go to the forums. You can read them without joining, lots of useful info there, even the computer fault codes so you can diagnose yourself without going to a dealer. If you do get a Cherokee I suggest you join. One piece of advice could save you more than the joining fee. Dealers are very expensive for parts and labour, but there are several independant places selling US pattern bits, just as good at a fraction of the jeep price.
Also try DaimlerChrysler online for an insurance quote, they were the cheapest for me though apparently they're not keen if you intend to do serious off-roading.
Good luck.
993 oil guzzler - Phil G
Ask at forums.pelicanparts.com

It is the biggest and best (imo) Porsche board on the web. They'll sort you out, lots of technical expertise there, even on the newer cars.