VW. Sharen 1.9 TDI - grinding noise - sparky100

Hi, i've had a grinding noise when reversing on partial or full lock coming from the front. I changed offside driveshaft thinking this was it but no different. I inspected nearside driveshaft but this looks ok as far as i know ie. not much play in it. Only seems to happen in reverse, apart from that drives ok. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks In advance. sparky 100.

VW. Sharen 1.9 TDI 2001- grinding noise - sparky100

Hi, i've had a grinding noise when reversing on partial or full lock coming from the front. I changed offside driveshaft thinking this was it but no different. I inspected nearside driveshaft but this looks ok as far as i know ie. not much play in it. Only seems to happen in reverse, apart from that drives ok. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks In advance. sparky 100.

VW. Sharen 1.9 TDI 2001- grinding noise - Peter.N.

Very difficult to guess at without hearing it but if its only doing it in reverse it sounds as though something in the suspension is moving when you are going backwards, could be the brake disc rubbing on something, can't think what though. Is it a scraping noise as in worn brake pad, or a heavy grinding? It would help if you could locate the rough area of the noise, can you get someone to lean out of the window?

VW. Sharen 1.9 TDI 2001- grinding noise - bathtub tom

I've experienced similar when I've had a small stone stuck between a disc splash-shield and the disc.

You need to identify the corner, then jack it up, get the wheel off and find the problem.