Help required - Astra brakes - BarryE
I'm often finding my 97 (old style) Astra's brakes get stuck
after leaving it for a couple of days or so. I live down a country track and there's often mud etc on the road. The problem
only occurs after rain.

I've had the brakes cleaned twice in the last few months, but
I'm still getting the problem. The garage says there's nothing
wrong with the braking system.

My questions :
1) Could there be a problem with the brakes or is this a common fault with Astras ?
2) I called out a local garage when the brakes first stuck. They freed it by reving hard which unstuck the brakes. Is this an
acceptable approach or could it be doing harm ?

Thanks for any advice.
Help required - Astra brakes - Dynamic Dave
I'm often finding my 97 (old style) Astra's brakes get stuck

Fronts, rears, or both?
Also to add, is it the foot or hand brake that gets stuck on?
Sorry, forget to say. Its the back brakes - foot.
Having once had an Astramax Van do this after being left parked up overnight, it went into the Vauxhall garage 3 times before being sorted out. Once one of the more experienced mechanics finally got his hands on it, all he did was to put a chamfer on the leading and trailing edges of the rear brake shoes. On this occasion it was the handbrake that was sticking, but as your Astra probably has rear drum brakes and not disc brakes, it will share the same brake shoes as the foot brake.
Have you tried leaving the handbrake off overnight, and the car in 1st gear to see what happens?
Help required - Astra brakes - NormanB
I will be interested to view the consensus on this one.

Experienced similar problem on 10 yr old 1.4i. Managed to get the drum off and wound the adjuster back until clear. My son was in a hurry so after a short test I let him proceed.

However always intended to do a 'proper job' and I now intend to strip out the shoes, clean and lube the adjuster mechanism (very carefully).

NormanB

Help required - Astra brakes - ChrisV
Barry,
This is a very common problem with Vauxhalls with drum brakes.(I'm assuming yours has). My local main dealer used to leave their sales cars in gear with the handbrake off when on the forecourt.I have had this problem with three Novas and one Astra.
Since I park on a level area I do what the dealer did and park with the handbrake off. Otherwise the brakes work perfectly.
On the occasions when I forgot and the brakes did stick, a tap on the drums with a wheel-brace freed the Astras easily. The Novas were a little more difficult.
If you have rear disks please ignore the above!
Chris

Help required - Astra brakes - JL
Barry E,

Curious one this.

I own an Astra Mk2 and Cavalier Mk3. The Cavalier rear brakes occasionally stick in a similar way to yours in cold/wet weather, but the Astra SRI has never caused a problem in my 12 years of ownership.

My understanding was that the brake dust within the drum gets wet during particularly wet weather and then hardens overnight with some on the shoes. A combination of handbrake applied with the vehicle stood overnight outside establishes conditions that crate the problem. I found that twice yearly clening of the drums tended to cure the problem.

Julian Lindley
Help required - Astra brakes - steve paterson
Stuck on drum brakes are fairly common but Vauxhall brake return springs seem to be more prone than most to rusting and weakening, and they're easily stretched. Be worth checking them.
Help required - Astra brakes - pmh
I would also check for weeping rear brake cylinders. Brake fluid seems to make rear shoes stick on the drums.

If Vx rear seals are as good as Fords you are very lucky to have got this far without a weep. The amount of fluid loss can be very small, concealed by Pad wear and corresponding falling fluid level. The only way to check is to dismantle.

pmh (was peter)
Thank you all so far. I've only come across this site. Seems there's a lot of help to be had. Thanks.
Help required - Astra brakes - Bromptonaut
Had exactly this problem with the mother out law's 91/J 1.4 Astra. Nearside wheel completely frozen and leaving skid marks in the drive. Call to Nat breakdown summoned Freeways of Weedon who gave it something well in excess of a light tap and with a big hammer; Sorted!!.

Parking brake on the BX has occasionaly rusted or frozen on, but on a powered wheel unequal contest rapidly surrendered, albeit with a niose like a pistol shot.