Common Rail? - cabsmanuk
I know my way round an engine (or thought I did) but what is a Common Rail diesel engine as distinct from a non common rail engine? What/where is the rail?

Chris
Common Rail? - madf
Common Rail relates to the channel along which the diesel fuel is pumped to the injectors which spray fuel into the combustion chambers.
If you look at older diesels you will see each injector has a separate pipe leading from the injector timing mechanism. With Common Rail fuel is pumped at high pressure along a common pipe (rail) to all the injectors which are opened and closed by means of an electrical signal from the ECU.
Pressures are much higher and injector control much better hence more power/less fuel consumption..

(that's in layman's terms.. which is wot I am:-)
madf
Common Rail? - JL
Madf,

Is it true to say that petrol injected cars today effectively are "Common Rail"

If I understand you correctly, common rail diesel injectors undertake the injection timing themselves via integral solenoids, ecu controlled, rather than via a separate timed injection pump.

Seems a lifetime away from the "Simms" jerk type injection pump and "spill cut off" of 1950's vintage.

Julian Lindley
Common Rail relates to the channel along which the diesel fuel
is pumped to the injectors which spray fuel into the combustion
chambers.
If you look at older diesels you will see each injector
has a separate pipe leading from the injector timing mechanism. With
Common Rail fuel is pumped at high pressure along a common
pipe (rail) to all the injectors which are opened and closed
by means of an electrical signal from the ECU.
Pressures are much higher and injector control much better hence more
power/less fuel consumption..
(that's in layman's terms.. which is wot I am:-)
madf

Common Rail? - jc
Modern petrol injected cars are common rail;they have one(sometimes two)injectors in each inlet tract fed from a common fuel supply pressurized by a fuel pump.