Need advice on compact diesel(Polo,Getz,Corsa etc) - puqq

My mother needs an economic replacement for Mazda 323f (2002) we currently own. Mpg and maintenance costs are above any other factors, like comfort and style. Roughly, the current budget is sufficient for vehicles from 2002-2005.

I am considering these options:

1. Seat Ibiza, Skoda Fabia or VW Polo, 1.4 TDI or 1.9 (I've heard some bad stuff about 1.4 TDI)
2. Opel Corsa
3. Hyunday Getz (pretty good deals available for these, but what about the reliability?)
4. Ford Fusion, Fiesta, Mazda 2 (seem to be a bit unreliable)
5. Honda Jazz- not a diesel, but still quite economic and probably more reliable.

===
6. Peugeot and Renault- are these worth any consideration?

N.B. The car will be used in a country, where repair costs are roughly 0.5 that of the UK.

Need advice on compact diesel(Polo,Getz,Corsa etc) - Avant

If your mum's mileage is low to average, she doesn't need a diesel: diesels of an age that she can afford are liable to major, expensive failures. The best of them seems to be the VW/Seat/Skoda 1.9 TDI. The Peugeot / Citroen diesel engines are also long-lasting, but the rest of the car, particularly the electrics, will have collapsed before the engine does.

So unless she does a high mileage, a petrol car is the one to go for. A Honda Jazz is a good bet as you say; also consider the Toyota Yaris or Corolla. All these should be reliable if you can find one that's been looked after with a full service history.

Edited by Avant on 03/02/2011 at 23:59

Need advice on compact diesel(Polo,Getz,Corsa etc) - puqq

Cheers.

We usually do 6000 km (urban) and 3000km (extra-urban) annually, which would probably lead to a difference of £150-250 a year. Diesels also seem to depreciate a bit slower, especially if the trend of oil price hike persists.

The current Mazda uses ±9-10L/100km in urban areas, which is hardly tolerable.

Edited by puqq on 04/02/2011 at 00:25

Need advice on compact diesel(Polo,Getz,Corsa etc) - unthrottled

28-32mpg? Yup, that's pretty low but with a low annual mileage, you won't be seeing stellar numbers from a diesel either. Forget, 50mpg (5.65l/100km)-40 (7 l/100km) would be more reasonable. You'd only need a single major repair to more than wipe out the fuel savings. With short jouneys, a diesel might never get up to operating temperature-hardly conducive to a maintainance free life.

If you must go for a diesel, The VW 1.9 unit is really very good-and at that age no DPF either.

But the most economical car is usually the one sitting on your drive...

Need advice on compact diesel(Polo,Getz,Corsa etc) - madf

I run a Yaris diesel: approx 6 to 7k miles per year. Average mpg over 5 years: 57 mpg.

About 75% of journeys are under 3 miles length.

Edited by madf on 04/02/2011 at 07:58

Need advice on compact diesel(Polo,Getz,Corsa etc) - Dutchie
I would look at the Hyunda Getz for your mother no bad reports about reliablity.Honda Jazz Toyota Yaris not cheap second hand unless you are lucky.

Agree about Yaris not being cheap secondhand. The converse is of course that when you sell it..

I bought mine in 2005 for £6250. Market value now c £3800. Annual depreciation £500. And very easy to sell - if in good condition..

Mind you round here (North Staffs), the cheapest Yaris of any sort is £2k upwards.

And of course, Yaris relaibility is legendary.

Edited by madf on 04/02/2011 at 08:35

You bought yours for a good fair price and the Yaris looks build to last.

Need advice on compact diesel(Polo,Getz,Corsa etc) - gordonbennet

Don't be afraid to contemplate Citroen C2 1.4Hdi, or indeed C3.

A workmate's C2 is now on 140k, he bought it at 25k, it's had a couple of minor problems easily fixed and averages 65mpg on his 50 mile commute to work, regularly sees 70+ mpg on his slower constant speed (traffic) workbound journey.

It's due cambelt soon (150k) so his first major servicing expense, but he does maintain well with regular oil and filter changes and thorough inspections, quality aftermarket parts very cheap from factor....whatever you get good maintenance is the key to long life, and use a competent indy not the main dealer.

madf-that almost defies belief-you mentioned that figure before, and I thought you'd mistyped. Do you use a block heater or something??

Need advice on compact diesel(Polo,Getz,Corsa etc) - Cymrogwyllt
Similarly I do 7k or so a year with very few journeys over 5 miles. Polo 1.4 diesel normally gives 60 to 63 mpg. A petrol 1.2 Polo struggled to give high 30's under the same circumstances

No block heater unthrottled.

Just garaged.

5-30 Toyota semi synthetic in engine. Full synthetic oil in gearbox. Power box. Every month or so run at 70mph in 4th gear c 3,200 rpm to clear out exhaust/EGR valve.

Once a year diesel injection cleaner. Shell standard diesel (Shell Drivers card gives me c £4 back every year).

Drive carefully around town.

Check tyre pressures every 3-4 weeks..

And all petrol recorded (yes I'm sad)

Edited by madf on 04/02/2011 at 12:37

I record mileage religiously-even if you're not concerned about cost, a sudden drop in economy can indicate a problem before the driver experiences 'funny noises'.

I've found garaging helps-even a stand alone garage. I put it down to slowing the rate of cool down-so the internals stay warmer-don't have OBDII on my car so I can't prove it!

Style of driving is of course the biggest factor-not that some people will admit that.

Still amazed at the consumption of the little 4 pot-I can understand the VW 3 pot doing well though . When the Vauxhall 1.3 diesel came out, it caused consternation in the office, with most engineers hooting with derision. One of the CFD guys ran a simulation and concluded due to the tiny cylinders, the surface area/volume ratio was so poor, that the engine was inherently inefficient. When reports of poor economy surfaced, the theory seemed to be vindicated. I'm now starting to question that opinion.

I have never recorded any mileage on any car I have owned .I look at cost at the pump what I pay for fuel.The cheapest car for cost on fuel was a hillman imp i had years ago.And a VW Jetta using LPG gas.At the moment I spend about £100 a month on a 1.6 tdci Ford focus engine.That is town driving and country roads unless we have a long motorway run from here 200 miles to London.then the cost will go up .I use BP Ultimate diesel.The BP fuel station I use takes a coop card an nectar card for points.We bank with the Coop and we recieve money back from the coop card.I know BP is a bit more expensive than supermarket fuel but i rather be safe than sorry.

I think the desire to obtain data is hard wired into me. I'm tempted to change to a more modern car just so I can use a Scanguage to monitor intake manifold pressures and oil temperatures. None of which is, in itself, make any difference to fuel economy or reliability.

If you look at the fuel consumtion for the Polo/A2 with the 1.4TDI engine and the Yaris with the D4d Engine, the urban and extra urban figures are nearly identical to within 2mpg or so..

So it's hardly surprising two owners - with presumably similar drving styles get similar fuel consumption in similar conditions.

During the really cold December weather, the Yaris thermometer recorded -9C inside the garage... before it was started. On two successive mornings.. So I doubt if garaging makes all that much difference .. (unheated, metal doors and draughts!).

One owner on the Yaris forums claimed an average of c 67mpg but that was with long journeys and some hypermiling techniques if I remember.

Edited by madf on 04/02/2011 at 18:48

What was cold start like at -9C? Did you need more than one glow plug cycle? Still baffled that it even starts-but then the cylinders i'm used to look like saucepans and the compression ratio tends to be in the 14s.
That reminds of the days trying to fire up a Leopard. Switch on, press start button, Wait anything up to a minute on the starter for one pot to fire. Keep button pressed for another 30 sec untill enough fired to sustain the engine.

Then duck the moans of the mechanic I'd just smoked out of the pit.

Took 10 secs cranking to go. Sounded a bit asthmatic but battery is original - 7 years old.

Sorry 8 years old..

Edited by madf on 04/02/2011 at 21:20

Was that the O680 engine? Sounded great (big n/a diesels do) but pretty gutless for its displacement!

600 and 680
Need advice on compact diesel(Polo,Getz,Corsa etc) - opahale

If you can find it on youtube there is a very nice advert running on the dutch tv from VW .

It is of dad and son buying a VW Golf from a little old lady.

The lesson is can you trust the cars previous owners and can it stand the abuse.

The end touch is granny in the showroom and the salesman offers to let her do a try out in a new Golf 6.

Need advice on compact diesel(Polo,Getz,Corsa etc) - opahale

what about a Susuki Swift ?