Ford Focus - Impending fuel system problems - primeradriver
Car is a 56-plate Ford Focus 1.6 petrol with 80,000 miles and full (independent) service history. I'd like to be able to jump on this problem before I'm let down.

Recently the car has been becoming increasingly difficult to start. It'll (almost) always start first time but frequently it'll take two or three seconds before the engine catches, and even then on one or two occasions the car has spluttered and not started even when it has appeared to start.

Also the car (very) occasionally misfires, particularly at higher revs (>4000 I'd say).

I've had the car 7 months now, and had it serviced when I bought it (at 71,000 miles so it's due another service quite soon). The engine has always been notably coa*** and rough under load -- not massively so, think along the lines of an early-2000s Korean engine, but noisier than I would expect a leading manufacturer to be. It's just on the upper edge of what I would consider acceptable noise for a 1.6 petrol. It is, however, quiet and stable at idle, and comfortably passed its MOT last week.

Before I mention all this to my mechanic I'd like a few pointers as to what may or may not be amiss. Any input appreciated.
Ford Focus - Impending fuel system problems - lucas2

fuel filter change or worse crank or camshaft sensor could be loose cambelt tensioner causing erratic running had the same with mondeo and old focus

Ford Focus - Impending fuel system problems - lucas2

try new plugs too

Ford Focus - Impending fuel system problems - starfield

try posting the problem on www.fordownersclub.com.