Astra 1.6 8v 2002 - Not sure - pugs712

been getting the mayo under the oil cap for the last year and have also just cleaned the air intake pipe after the air fitler box and found a load there as well also it seems to be using a lot of petrol lately more then it used to did find moisture under cap and i did have to top up the coolant level but that hadn,t been done since last sevice nearly a year a go the other thing is the temp gauge on dash rarely go,s past half way don,t know if linked the exhaust has got a nice hole so getting replaced next week just wondered if anyone had any ideas sorry for spellings thanks for looking

Astra 1.6 8v 2002 - Not sure - loudbox

Sound like thermostat is definately faulty and your car is running cool, this is a very common problem on this engine. This accounts for the gunge in the engine as the condensation naturally produced is not getting burnt of so is emulsifying with the oil. Downside to all this is thermostat requires timing belt removal which makes it an expensive job. Change the coolant sensor too just to make sure. Also clean or renew EGR valve every year, apart from this these engines are pretty bullett proof.

Astra 1.6 8v 2002 - Not sure - John Boy

There's a quick and cheap fix for the thermostat, which is documented here:

sirbendy.co.uk/car-projects/vauxhall-automatics/20...b*****-thermostats/

Astra 1.6 8v 2002 - Not sure - John Boy

I think the Swear filter caught my link above.

The fix is described here too, but more long-winded:

www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?139...t