'99 Megane 1.6 - Renault Megane '99 Intermittent Immobiliser failur - kidwellj

I've got a rather perplexing issue with a Renault immobilizer. After unlocking the doors using the key fob, and before the immobiliser light starts blinking I put the key in the ignition and the immobiliser kicks in. But this is intermittent, as I can cycle the ignition and it will work on the 4, 5th or 6th time. There doesn't seem to have any difference as to whether I try before or after the solid light indicating the key-check has finished or not. It has both started and immobiliser in either situation. So I'm thinking this is some sort of intermittency issue... I opened up the key and didn't see any issues there (I can provide images if that would be helpful) all connections seem to be fine. I did a successful resync of the key fob following the instructions here (www.programyourkeys.com/Renault_Megane_Key_Remote_...l). and the problem persists. The fob (RF+Chip) unlocks the doors just fine, so I'm fairly certain that it isn't a fob battery issue either. I've tried to determine the four digit unlock code but haven't had any luck with that either (www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=Test_for_Re...e), as I have an 8 digit ignition key number which doesn't seem to match up with the software floating around the internet. Any suggestions? I'd be most grateful for any suggestions.

kidwellj at gmail dot com.

Edited by kidwellj on 23/01/2011 at 12:23