Recession beating car? - Boulder2k9

What is the ultimate recession beating used car on sale today?

Im thinking Vauxhall Vectra, Hyundai Santa Fe Mk 1, and most Skoda's.

What else is there?

Recession beating car? - LucyBC
Spot a future classic which you believe will become desirable and lock it in your garage (needless to say none of the above qualify).

Then either use a bicycle for day-to-day use or get a job with a company car supplied - or if you need a vehicle of your own, follow the principles outlined in James Ruppert's excellent Bangernomics.

www.bangernomics.co.uk

Recession beating car? - Armstrong Sid

Im thinking Vauxhall Vectra, Hyundai Santa Fe Mk 1, and most Skoda's.

Why are these the ultimate recession-beating cars?

What are you basing your ideas on? Depends on what your idea of recesion-beating involves

Recession beating car? - Boulder2k9

I'm basing my ideas on value, practicality and reliability

The Santa Fe Mk 1 is a recession beater because they are dirt cheap secondhand, extremely reliable ( I drove one into the ground) and are reasonably good on fuel if you get the diesel version. There's also plenty of space in them. Not the quickest car in the world though..

What would your idea of a recession-beating car be?

Recession beating car? - WellKnownSid

Bought the wife a Daewoo a few years back as a runaround - paid 2,000 euros. Ran it for two years / 40,000km, spent about 50 euros on an oil and filter change and another 100 euros on a couple of tyres.

Got 2,500 euros for it when we traded it in under scrappage!

Recession beating car? - Sofa Spud

How about an old VW Passat 1.9 TDI estate? There are quite a few of the mid 90's B4 version around still. We had one until recently - no detectable rust, 50+ mpg. Not worth much money but not much to lose either. If you've got the space and a bit of mechanical ability, you could even get a second one for spares !!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 17/01/2011 at 10:06

Recession beating car? - dodo

Brother bought a good Merc C180 1999 vintage for little money (about £700). seems a good buy to me.