Daihatsu Charade 2004 - Squealing alternator belt at idle when lights on - Rob E

All

I have a 2004 Daihatsu Charade SL which I've had for nearly 6 years. A few months back, the alternator belt started to squeak. A temporary fix was a squirt of WD40, but I then had a new belt put on (proper Daihatsu part) as the sound quickly came back. All was well for about a month. Recently, the belt has started squeaking when the battery is under load (especially when engine cold and the lights are on). As revs increase, the sound disappears.

Above all else, the loud noise is annoying and embarrassing. I can't get through to the garage which did the work. Working in the law I know my rights etc but just need a quick fix. As the garage is in Walsall and I live in Birmingham, it's not that convenient to pop down there to get it sorted.

Can anyone recommend a good independent in Birmingham which could adjust the tension (which I presume is the problem) as well as do an MOT? Alternatively, if there's anyone in the Birmingham area who would know what to do I'd happily pay you a visit. Anything to shut up what is otherwise a completely reliable car!

I assume it is a tension issue???

Kind regards

Rob

Daihatsu Charade 2004 - Squealing alternator belt at idle when lights on - Rob E

anyone?

Daihatsu Charade 2004 - Squealing alternator belt at idle when lights on - Peter D

Click on Good Garages on the header bar. If this engine is a diesel it may have a sprag clutch alternator pulley that may have seized or as you say it may just be a belt tension problem. Regards Peter

Thanks Peter, it's a 3 cylinder petrol (989cc).