mondeo 2.2 ghia tdci - Buying a used car - dh1983

hey guys you all seemt o know your stuff so im looking for some info.

i am looking into buying a used car ford mondeo ghia 2.2 tdci. Are there any concerns with this model or any areas i should be looking at or concerned about before i buy

i was also thinking about a service when i buy it, would a interm or major service be best?

mondeo 2.2 ghia tdci - Buying a used car - daveyjp
What age of Mondeo are you looking at? The 2.2 engine changed from a Ford unit to a PSA unit and each have different issues.

hi, thanks for the reply its the 2.2 153bhp 2005 05 plate

Is this the right information you requested? I am due to visit this car tomorrow 17/01/2011 I would like to know what type of problems i should be looking for?

That engine is similar to the on fitted in the X type and IMHO is an excellent diesel engine - lots of torque available when required and certainly in the X type it is very quiet once warmed up.

Being an X type 2.2 owner the main issues I've been made aware of on X types are blocked EGRs which cause the engine to go into limp mode (had this on mine at 25,000 miles), there are ways of blanking this off which don't seem to have adverse effects. They can be cleaned, but a new one isn't a bank breaker. The pipe which serves the EGR can also split, which means a new one, also cheap enough. A split pipe causes rough running and lots of smoke on acceleration.

Clutch and dual mass flywheels can also fail and are not cheap to fix. Shards of metal from the flywheel can be attracted to the alternator causing it to fail.

I'm sure the Ford owners club site has lots more info.

I am unsure what the ford owners site is. how would i know if there is a problem with the flywheel or clutch when i test drive the car?

You'll get a juddering through the clutch pedal. Ask the seller if these items have been changed, or if there is any paperwork relating to the job.

Try this site

www.fordownersclub.com/forums/
mondeo 2.2 ghia tdci - Buying a used car - tanvir

www.talkford.com/forum/89-ford-mondeo-mk3-2000-200.../

Lots of info there.