Ford Mondeo 51 plate - Excessive use of oil - Repent at leisure

I have a 2litre Mondeo and it has started to use excessive amounts of oil e.g. 2 litres in a 76 mile journey. There is no evidence of leaks as the house drive is clean without oil stains and I am not getting black smoke out of the exhaust pipe. Any ideas?

Ford Mondeo 51 plate - Excessive use of oil - Collos25

It either leaks it or burns it if it does not show any signs of leakage then you have only one other option.Valve seals,piston rings are favourite favourite places to look .

Ford Mondeo 51 plate - Excessive use of oil - Collos25

It either leaks it or burns it if it does not show any signs of leakage then you have only one other option.Valve seals,piston rings are favourite favourite places to look .

Ford Mondeo 51 plate - Excessive use of oil - Peter

My 2.0 2004 TDCI did exactly the same thing and the Ford main dealer and an indie all reckoned on an internal failure but could not tell me what or where unless the engine underwent a full strip down.

FYI, after some research, it became apparent that a recon engine with 12 month warranty would cost in the region of £4K. The only guaranteed part was the block and head, all other components where to be swapped from the old engine to the new and then of course it might be wise to replace the clutch and possibly the DMF. Eventually ending up around the £6K mark.

The car being uneconomical was sold on for spares.

Ford Mondeo 51 plate - Excessive use of oil - Peter D

'2 litres in a 76 mile' would belch out white smoke. Is this a diesel engine or petrol. Regards Peter