owed money for work, owner disappeared - GEP

Does anyone know where I stand with regards to some work I have done on someones car. The story is: I have done about £3000 worth of work on a car about 16 months ago and the person couldn't pay. He has since vanished off the face of the earth, email doesn't work, contact address and address on log book is a 'citybox' address which is now returning mail back to sender, debt collector has done a credit search and he doesn't have any credit so not traceable.

I still have his car and its not worth what the work bill comes to anymore so I wold like to apply for the logbook and sell it to try and get some money back. The question is, legally can I do it if I have tried every way of contacting the owner and he has vanished?

Cheers

Gep

owed money for work, owner disappeared - LucyBC

My new website www.dealerclub.co.uk deals with legal problems like this for people in the motor trade - amongst other benefits.

Your T&Cs should have been drawn up so you held a lien on the parts you fitted and the work you had undertaken - if they do not the court will probably support you in this regard in any event - but make sure your T&Cs are updated to do this in future. We can supply you with a set to suit your circumstances if you wish.

As such and after taking all reasonable steps to contact the person concerned you can consider the vehicle abandoned on your premises and can take measures to recover your loss. There is no need to issue court proceedings.

Check the vehicle with HPI or Experian first to ensure you can get clear title and there is no credit outstandng (if it has a marker come back to me).

You can then apply to the DVLA for the logbook and dispose of the vehicle to recover your losses.

The DVLA will write to the keeper at the last known address and if he does not reply will do so without any need for approval on his part.