VW Crafter 2.5 Bluetdi 109ps - Our Van & It's MPG - Med

Hi Everyone,

We booked the Van to have its first health check and one point we put forward to the dealers was the bad fuel consumption.

We are currently using £60.00 with diesel cost per litre @ £1.27 and that's getting us about 190 miles maximum. We are averaging approx 16-18mpg with no payload. VW are saying this is normal, although we do 50% stop/start driving we also have "cruising" times, whereas we leave early to avoid most London traffic in the morning.

Do you think this is acceptable? I had a look at Ferrari and their MPG, it comes out on one of the 4.5l engines to be 15mpg urban. Extremely close to the van!!

It's still with the dealers. What do you think?

VW Crafter 2.5 Bluetdi 109ps - Our Van & It's MPG - injection doc

The official figures are 23-28mpg & 32 best.

www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/Volkswagen_Cr...m

is it still tight ? as our Freelander 2 new was doing about 22mpg & its now around 32 average & it took a good 13000 miles to improve ! even with hard towing

VW Crafter 2.5 Bluetdi 109ps - Our Van & It's MPG - a900ss
What's your 'cruising' speed and is the van high roof?

It does seem a bit low but if you are driving fast and it is high roof it is quite possible. I had a high roof Iveco earlier this year and it did low 20's at about 65/70MPH. I guess it would be teens if I took it 80MPH plus.

HI, thanks for your replies. The van is high roof.

At the moment, the van is only on 7,000 so maybe it has time to 'open up'. Our cruising speed is around 40mph. Our trip to work is about 23 miles from home, out of those 23 miles we are cruising about 15 miles of it, the rest of stop and starting but only at traffic lights.

Because of London traffic, we decided to leave home at 5am instead of 7am to miss traffic = less stress & i thought less cost on fuel.

We've got the van back from the dealers and will keep an eye on it. Whereas today and tomorrow the roads are dead quite, i will keep an eye on it. I just didnt see that to be reasonable at all, 16mpg on average.

Is this normal for vans now days!? The reason why we was so inclined to get this van was the "Blue Motion" which i think it means sod all. The combined MPG is what we should be getting as its a mix of cruising and urban, which advertised is around 29mpg.

Hi, just a follow up to the last post. I know the petrol prices have gone up - at the moment in London its £1.43 per l. We kept the van empty with only 2 people in it so there is no payload - for £50.00 fuel we're only getting 180 miles from it.

Should i bother taking this up with VW? i need to know some info before i do? what can affect the mpg? i drive the van 'soft' so don't have a hard right foot.

That sort of MPG can't be right can it?