Peugeot 1.9TD Woes - Fullchat
Last week SWMBO filled up the 306 with petrol instead of diesel. Managed to drive 1 mile to work and then after work managed to drive about 3 miles before the car gave up the ghost and I received a telephone call.
Car recovered on the end of a rope and fuel pumped out the next day at a local garage.
I noticed that after that the car spluttered a bit before running cleanly after a glowplug start and then seemed to start and run OK. Today I noticed that when starting the engine warm and then a glowplug start it would start and immediatly cut out on 2/3 occasions before eventually starting and running OK.
Has anyone experience of this? My first thought is that the running on a diesel/petrol mix has trashed the glowplugs or that there is still some petrol sloshing about. However the glowplug theory does not hold water as the car starts OK when cold.
Any ideas out there. Its going up for sale this week!!!!!!
Peugeot 1.9TD Woes - rg
FC (!!)

Surely the injector pump must be, err, terminally damaged if it has run that far? I am amazed that it has run at all. I thought that the pump depended on the properties of diesel fuel to give it lubrication.

rg
Peugeot 1.9TD Woes - BrianW
"My first thought is that the running on a diesel/petrol mix has trashed the glowplugs "

IMHO it would be difficult to trash the glowplugs as these are simply a metal bulb with an element inside and without the plugs starting would be difficult, but you say it is OK..
Peugeot 1.9TD Woes - madf
has the filter (fuel ) been replaced? Probably some petrol in the bottom of it Sorry definitely petrol in it.

Try that first and a proper emptying of ALL fuel lines first.. (I mean emptying of all fuel....)

Was the fuel tank 100% drained: you say pumped out. How? Was it all removed?

If the above have not been done, you've still got petrol in it.

Then if it still does not run, much expense imo .. you may have damaged pump or injectors or both.

madf
Peugeot 1.9TD Woes - IanT
Another possibility for you to consider. These symptoms:

"I noticed that after that the car spluttered a bit before running cleanly after a glowplug start and then seemed to start and run OK. Today I noticed that when starting the engine warm and then a glowplug start it would start and immediatly cut out on 2/3 occasions before eventually starting and running OK."

are similar to what you get if you had air in your fuel supply, for example, immediately after fitting a new fuel filter.

Normally the first patch of misfiring and cutting out will purge the air out of the system and the problem goes away. But your fuel supply / pipes etc may have been disturbed while cleaning out the petrol, and air may still be leaking into your system.

Other people say that air leaks in the fuel supply are also associated with erratic RPM while on the move (surging). I haven't had that pleasure, but it would be another clue if your car is affected that way.

On a second point. I'm sure it is true that running petrol through the injector pump will damage it through lack of lubrication. But I have yet to see an unequivocal posting along the lines of "I did this, ran for X miles, and MY pump was terminally damaged". So exactly how far you can get, and how damaged your pump will be, seems to be subject to a lot of guesswork.

Ian
Peugeot 1.9TD Woes - neil
Very sensible advice! I'd put good money on either there still being air in there or it pulling air in now... caused by whatever they did to drain the lines. On our fleet this is a fairly regular occurence (among 900 + vehicles) and it never seems to do much harm once they're drained & refilled - I don't think its going to have hurt anything at all over a few miles.