Buying car with no V5 or tax - Turv

Hi,

There is a car i like on ebay, but the car has no v5 or tax, the seller said he has lost the v5 and will apply for a new one in the buyers name. I have messaged him to ask if it's even legal to sell it with no v5 or even supplement, he basically bite my head off saying i was talking rubbish.

Question is, how can i check if the VIN no: matches the v5 etc & how can i tax it if there is no supplement?

Buying car with no V5 or tax - tdc

Hi,

There is a car i like on ebay, but the car has no v5 or tax, the seller said he has lost the v5 and will apply for a new one in the buyers name. I have messaged him to ask if it's even legal to sell it with no v5 or even supplement, he basically bite my head off saying i was talking rubbish.

Question is, how can i check if the VIN no: matches the v5 etc & how can i tax it if there is no supplement?

Some people do take those questions personally don`t they?!

Presumably you have the reg ;go to http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/ and click on vehicle enquiries for your basic check.

If happy with that then pay for a proper history check to make sure there`s nothing outstanding on it.As most vehicle sellers wont accept paypal for fee reasons you will not be covered if anything goes wrong and would presumably have to file with the law.If seller has good feedback and you can pop to view first then that eases most concerns.Make sure you know where the vin plate is situated for that particular vehicle before the trip.

Edited by tdc on 27/12/2010 at 22:22

Buying car with no V5 or tax - tdc

Dunno what happened there,only added link once but you`ve got it in triplicate!

Buying car with no V5 or tax - Dwight Van Driver

Car for sale without V5 is a very dodgy situation. Just working on a VRM is no good as it could be cloned. You really want the V5 to check against VIN and a visual inspection.

This is one that I wouldn't touch with barge pole.

dvd

Buying car with no V5 or tax - LucyBC
Agree with Dwight. There are good reasons why he may not have the V5 (and a fraudster is always likely to have one) but the good reasons usually relate to title.

The cases I normally see are when someone has illegally repossessed it or more likely still taken a car for an alleged debt.

You have some protection if the seller is a dealer who is legitimate but you have virtually none if this is a private sale.

Are there any particular reasons why you want to go through with this rather than buy one of the thousands of other cars out there?

Please note that it being "very cheap" is deemed to be one of the reasons used by HPI to be extremely wary and walk away if there are any discrepancies. No V5 means the checks you can make are limited to worthless.
Buying car with no V5 or tax - Turv
Hi,

Thanks to all that replied.

Lucy,

I am not going to purchase it, i was wary from the start, it was a 10 day listing so there is no excuse for him to get one in time or nearly time.

Thanks again to all that replied, you have basically confirmed what i was thinking.

Turv.