SEAT Ibiza - Mk4 Ibiza 1.9 Tdi FR airbag ecu location - Tracser

Can anybody tell me where the airbag ecu is located and whether this car has seperate crash sensors that auto reset?

Thanks

SEAT Ibiza - Mk4 Ibiza 1.9 Tdi FR airbag ecu location - elekie&a/c doctor

The airbag ecu is located on the transmission tunnel,forward of the gear lever,under the heater unit.If the car is fitted with side airbags,it will have sensors fitted on the floor,under the front seats,near the sills.I don't think you will find anything that auto resets.hth

Many thanks, ive found and removed the module. All that is left now is to source the crash sensor. Only the passenger seat airbag deployed after a surprisingly minor bump to the drivers side front wheel. (Wheel and running gear inspected by a garage with no faults apart from the slight dent in the wheel.

Would you know where the crash sensors are located?

Thanks

Hi All,

Many thanks for all of your suggestions and help. The airbag system is now repaired and working again. I thought I should explain what has been done along with things I have sussed out along the way.

Passengers seat airbag replaced . (£60)
Passengers seat belt/pretensioner replaced (£50)
Airbag ECU sent away to have crash data removed. (£50) For info: This cannot be done with Vagcom as the EEPROM chip data must be removed.

Manufacturers will tell you the airbag ECU has to be replaced - NOT TRUE! The airbag ECU also retains its 'coding to vehicle' data after the crash data is removed so no messing around on Vagcom after the reset.

The location of the airbag ECU sits under the centre console, fwd of the gearstick on the transmission tunnel, held in with qty 3 10mm nuts.

The lateral crash sensors are beneath the seat, under the carpet and bolted with qty 2 allen key bolts to the lateral hump of the floor structure.
These sensors do not store crash data and are basically an accelerometer (piezo electric) and do not latch after a bump - they simply send a deceleration signal out to the airbag ECU which deals with it how it sees fit based on its internal algorithms set by its design.

When the airbag ECU figures a crash, it will store the data as a latched fault in memory - this cannot be erased by Vagcom. With a lateral/side impact it will send a fault message to the power steering controller to disable the power steering (Im guessing to prevent over compensation and stop you going off the road!?) The hazard lights will automatically come on too. You can erase the steering fault through Vagcom in the 'steering assist' tab to restore your power steering but only after you have erased the crash data from the airbag ecu or disconnected the airbag ecu.

Should your forward crash sensors be activated in an accident - the engine will be automatically turned off or so Im told. This wasn't relevant to me as it was simply a massive pot hole that set my passengers airbag off and not the kerb as originally thought. Council have since repaired the hole and have given me the finger in response to my claim. A counter claim is now in progress and Im gonna fight them over it......IT WAS A MASSIVE HOLE! Fortunately my tracking was fine and the wheel has only a slight dent in it - no cracks and has been refurbished for 60 quid, as good as new.

A local coachwork upholsterer is repairing the seat stitching with the special seam thread to allow the airbag to deploy correctly for next to nothing.

All in all fixed for 200 odd quid - significantly less than the 3 garage quotes I got.....two of which were for over a grand!!! I didnt even bother to contact SEAT main dealer.

I hope this info may help people in the future.......many thanks once again.

<*** class="inlineimg" style="vertical-align: middle; border: 0px initial initial;" title="Tracser is online now" src="http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/images/styles/SeatCupra/statusicon/user_online.gif" border="0" alt="Tracser is online now" /> <*** class="inlineimg" style="vertical-align: middle; border: 0px initial initial;" title="Report Post" src="http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/images/styles/SeatCupra/buttons/report.gif" border="0" alt="Report Post" />
<*** style="border: 0px initial initial;" title="Edit/Delete Message" src="http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/images/styles/SeatCupra/buttons/edit.gif" border="0" alt="Edit/Delete Message" />