Alloy Wheels - Pitting - MokkaMan
Apologies for my ignorance on this issue but can anyone describe what is meant by alloy wheels pitting and what does it look like? I have an 18 month old car and on the surface of one of the front wheel rims there is a discoloured mark about the size of a 10p piece (I had assumed that this was perhaps due to a stone being deflected into the wheel when in motion.

If this is pitting - does the dealer cover? If it is not, can I get some sort of spray to cover up with?

Thanks for your help
Alloy Wheels - Pitting - Mike H
Pitting is exactly what it says on the tin - small pits that eventually appear on the surface of most alloys due to corrosion from road salt, brake dust etc. Imagine the surface of a golf ball with smaller & less regular pits. Most alloys are treated in some way to delay the onset, usually with some form of surface coating. This eventually gets worn or chipped away, road chemicals ingress & pitting starts. It's worth talking to the dealer but if it's just discolouration, (rather than a specific surface defect) he may not be interested. Not a lot you can with it apart from trying an alloy wheel cleaner (e.g. Wonderwheels).
Alloy Wheels - Pitting - Dynamic Dave
Just to add to Mike H's post, if you do use an alloy wheel cleaner, remember to apply some kind of protectant to the wheels afterwards. eg, car polish, laquer, etc. Also be careful the cleaner doesn't wash out any grease on the wheel bolts and they end up rusting in.