Citroen C4 - Cam belt - alf dazed

My c4Hdi diesel has done 39140 miles and had been serviced by the main dealer to proper specification (last service end Oct at 37500. I have just pointed out a"chirping " noise to the dealer who has diagnosed a Cam belt problem and has quoted in excess of £500 to repair. (3 year warranty ended 31/10/10) ie 6 weeks ago!

My questions are:

1) Are there any other reports of this sort of thing happening with other c4s of this age?

2) The dealer won't agree to assist me with any of the cost. Is it worth contacting Citroen UK to see if they would do anything?

I just feel that in a car where the Cam belt is not scheduled to be changed for ages it is very poor that this should happen

Any Info you can give me would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

alf dazed

Citroen C4 - Cam belt - 659FBE

Cambelts are fertile ground for dealer money making - VAG have it honed to perfection (in the UK only) but it sounds as though PSA may be catching up.

I would get a competent and independent second opinion before letting the dealer loose on this one. Auxiliary drives are more likely to"chirp" than cambelts but of course anything like this is impossible to diagnose remotely.

An auxiliary belt suspected of noise can be removed and the engine tested without it. If it still "chirps" the aux belt would have to have been removed anyway.

Citroen C4 - Cam belt - alf dazed

Thanks for that unfortunately I need the car for a very long journey this weekend and am concerned that if it gets worse the engine will be harmed so worried about the risk.

The aux belt was sprayed with wd 40 and this did not change the noise

have you any info on whether this is a recurring problem on c4s please?