Cracked Headlight - Tim Allcott
My '88 VW Golf Gti (4 headlight grill) has a crack in one of it's main beam lights fitted in the grill. It's due its M.O.T next week. Headlight still functions: do I need to change it to pass the test?

Tim
Cracked Headlight - Dynamic Dave
Yes, IMHO.
Cracked Headlight - Dwight Van Driver
If you go to:

www.motuk.co.uk

have a look at the testers manual. Seems it will depend on the bloke doing the test as there is no definitive yes or no on this defect?

DVD
Cracked Headlight - simonsmith473©
Not sure. Depends how big the crack is. It is advisable to changed it as soon as possible anyway(water in the electrics and all that).
Cracked Headlight - BrianW
I think it will depend on whether the light pattern is being distorted.
A family car has had a stone chip which has been sealed with silicon on one headlight for years and a couple of times it has been "noted" on the MOT but not failed.
Cracked Headlight - Tim Allcott
Thanks for the replies: I'd better visit the local breakers to source a spare.
Tim
Cracked Headlight - John S
Tim

As I understand it, a damaged headlight can be a fail. The condition of the reflector is an MOT issue, and if there is unreapaired damage that will allow the reflector to deteriorate it's likely to fail. Also damage which will upset the beam pattern will result in a fail.

However, small repaired areas do appear to be acceptable, although it's up to the judgement of the tester. Like Brian W I had a car with a small repair (blob of Araldite) pass two MOTs without problems.

Regards

John S