1994 clio 1.9 diesel - safe engine? - bangernomics

hi all, can anyone tell me wether the clio 1.9 diesel engine (1994) is a safe engine if the cam belt snaps???? thanks. jon.

1994 clio 1.9 diesel - safe engine? - jc2

Unlikely;due to the very high compressionratios,most diesels have a very small combustion chamber and it's frequently in the top centre of the piston,not where the valves are.

1994 clio 1.9 diesel - safe engine? - bangernomics

ok ......throught maybe because its an older diesel engine design it might of been safe.......anyone know 100%??. thanks jon.

1994 clio 1.9 diesel - safe engine? - Big John

Due to the high compression ratios involved in a diesels(smaller cumbustion chamber - much less room between pistons/valves) I don't think any diesels could be classed as safe.

1994 clio 1.9 diesel - safe engine? - Railroad.

If the engine is indirect injection forget it, it will not be safe. The only ones I know that can be are Vauxhalls fitted with the GM diesel engine provided they have genuine rockers. In these cases the rockers tend to break instead, sparing the valves....

1994 clio 1.9 diesel - safe engine? - Peter.N.

I don't know of any diesel angines that have sufficient space for the valves not to collide with the head if the belt breaks, if they had that much space the compression would be to low for them to run - unless someone knows different.

1994 clio 1.9 diesel - safe engine? - Peter.N.

Sorry - for head read 'pistons'.