Volvo V70 - Different Specification - ChiMan

I have recently purchased a 2002 Volvo V70 SE fitted with the 140bhp petrol engine.The log book came back today from the DVLA and it is listed as a V70 S 20v.

I have a feeling this is the 170bhp version whereas mine has only 10v. If this is the case I need to get it changed! It is very likely that the two previous owners have been paying too much for their insurance.

Has anyone been in this situation before? Am I correct? What would it take to convince the DVLA that it is the less powerful car?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ian Smith aka ChiMan

Volvo V70 - Different Specification - pd

Only way to tell is to look at the engine code near or on the cambelt cover. It will either end in S or S2. If it ends in S it is the 170ps version, if S2 usually the 140ps version.

They are both exactly the same 20v engine - the difference is purely in the ECU.

For some reason most 2000-2003 Volvos with SE spec say S in the logbook. No idea why.

Volvo V70 - Different Specification - jc2

The V5 on my car says TDDI-it isn't,it's a TDI but a TDDI wasn't on offer in that year of registration so I don't get charged for it on insurance,so I've never done anything about it.

Volvo V70 - Different Specification - TheOilBurner

As PD says, both the 140 and 170 bhp 2.4L engines are 20V.

The 140bhp is simply detuned via the software.

It was the 90s version of the 850/V70 that had 10v and 20v versions, they dropped this difference for the 2001 V70.

If you want to know for certain if you have 140 or 170 bhp then phone Volvo customer services, they will know.

Edited by TheOilBurner on 02/12/2010 at 09:55

Volvo V70 - Different Specification - ChiMan

Many thanks for this to all. It's a bit difficult to check right now as it is covered in a foot of snow!

Useful suggestions though. Will check and see.

Thanks

Ian Smith