VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - Epic 80
I recently purchased a 96 Golf vr6, and so far it has been brilliant, but one concern....
If you accelerate from below 2000 rpm in any gear, the car hestitates a little and jerks (misfire?), but above 2000 rpm all is fine. I am using 95 RON unleaded, could this be it? Or could it be the plugs? Any ideas out there?
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - simonsmith473©
95 RON is fine in the vr6. Check the spark plugs , ht leads and ignition transformer. Spark plugs are fun to remove!
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
HT leads are a common source of misfiring on these, and I would replace unless it looks as though they are less than 2 years old. Use genuine VAG replacements for best life. Also worth checking the main wiring harness connect to the ECU (in wiper well) as dampness causes corossion on pins inside the "comb". Use a proper electrical switch cleaner, and smear pins with Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on re-assembly.

HTH, Adam
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - shed
also worth doing is changing the fuel filter and cleaning the filter screen of the submerged fuel pump. Mine got blocked cos of s***ty Tesco petrol with loads of metal particles in it. Car wouldnt do more than 40. Cleaned it out and it does 140 again!
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - blank
Are you sure the metal wasn't from the fuel tank? Or is that plastic?
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Mine got blocked
cos of s***ty Tesco petrol

What was it blocked with exactly? I've been trying to find the answer to this for ages.
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - shed
pump screen was caked in metallic filings. They would definately come from the fuel as its a plastic tank. Bit of a s***ty design really, the screen to the immersible pupm has a very limited surface area so can get blocked easily. The pump then goes through a massive fual filter. Reall what VW should have done is put in a in-line pump, and put in a replaceable filter between that and the fuel pickup in the tank.

My VR6 also had problems with the HT leads. Sparks were arcing acroos the terminals of the coil especially when damp. newer VR6s have a spray sheild in front of the coil to deflet water away that has come through the front of the grille.

Anyone got any ideas about my ABS? (See separate thread.
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - Dynamic Dave
Although I'm not a fan of supermarket petrol, I would imagine these metallic filings came from the holding tanks of the supermarket petrol, or the delivery tanker. This could happen from any forecourt, not just the supermarket you purchased the petrol from.
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - simonsmith473©
Vr6 doesn't have a coil i think? mine has a ignition transformer (these replaced the more common rotating distributor). Ignition leads usually fracture because garages don't use the right tool to remove them(a bit tricky).
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - aj
Might well be worth checking the plugs. Some VR6's suffer with the plugs becoming fouled with deposits. Later models are fitted with expense platinum coated plugs (NGK BKR5EKUP). These are very expensive, especially from VW dealers I was quoted £14.00 each. Frequently these have been replaced with the ordinary BKR5EKU plugs when the car has been serviced by independent garages as these plugs are much cheaper but more likely to suffer from fouling. I guess that this could cause the hesitation in acceleration.
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - dimdip
aj,

do you know which model year the plug type changed ?
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - Epic 80
problem cured, it just needed a new set of plugs and leads! runs like a dream now and pulls from as low as 800 rpm in 5th without the slightest judder. This car's performance is immense!!
VR6 Hesitation and misfire on Accelerate - Roger Jones
My 96 VR6 runs very sweetly and always has. At 30k it is still on its original spark plugs and other electricals. With apologies for repeating what I often say when such problems are posted, I always use VAG's own fuel additive (part number G 001 700 03) and Shell fuel. After playing with Optimax for a while, I reverted to the ordinary stuff, having detected no significant difference in consumption or performance.