Vauxhall Corsa B - corsa b cam belt fitting - vin

Hi, I'm doing the head gasket at the moment, [ corsa b 1.2, 8 valve]. question is can the cam belt be put back as was, ie not moving the water pump. The idler guide with the pointers on can be moved against its spring in order to remove and replace belt, so providing pointer lines up, theres no need to move pump in theory. is this common practice. the belt was new last year so is not being replaced. thanks for any replies.

Vauxhall Corsa B - corsa b cam belt fitting - tdc

I`ve heard it said that once the belt has been tensioned it should not be taken to another level of tension.

In the past I have done exactly what you are thinking of doing for tight/hard-up mates("you are taking some risk,don`t blame me"...but never had a failure) and also for my own vehicles.Never did it whilst in the trade for the paying customer and wouldn`t do it on certain vehicles today and never with old belt of unknown age/mileage.

Vauxhall Corsa B - corsa b cam belt fitting - Victorbox

My Cavalier had about 3 cambelts replaced where they didn't (couldn't) move waterpump. Belts just whined a bit for first 1,000 miles but I had no problems. In fact the only time garage moved pump they ruined it and it started leaking!