HJ's Nissan Leaf "how far can you go" review. - SteveLee

Okay, as I'm now the board's pedant can I object to this excerpt from the great man himself?: "Energy consumption was largely as you'd expect from any other car. In free-moving traffic at lower speeds, impressively low, while the energy gauge dropped more quickly under heavy acceleration and when the engine was being worked harder"

Engine? I thought this is an electric car?

Pedantry aside, it's good that there's a half decent electric car available now rather than a portaloo bolted to a GoKart chassis - now we really are motoring.

Top Gear's similar “how far can we go on a gallon of fuel” test enraged me - the "Pious" set off with fully-charged batteries + a gallon of fuel - that test was simply unfair, the energy in the "Piouses" batteries didn't come from nowhere - it cost fuel to put it there!

Rant over - I'll go for a lie down now...

HJ's Nissan Leaf "how far can you go" review. - turbo11

When an electric vehicle can carry five+luggage/dogs, do a 300 mile journey without requiring charging and cost less than £20K I might be interested. Not sure if thats going to be within the next couple of decades though.

HJ's Nissan Leaf "how far can you go" review. - SteveLee

turbo11 I hear what you are saying, however there is a genuine market for "city" cars, my mum hasn't driven a journey of more than 20 miles for 25 years!

There are lots of reasons electric cars are a non-starter on a large scale – in fact turning fossil fuel into motion is much more efficient than generating electricity, transporting it (50% loss through heating the cables and stepup/stepdown transformers), charging a battery (10%+ loss in heat), converting it back into electricity from its chemical composition (loss ?) and then driving an electric motor which itself is only about 50% efficient. The national grid is close to collapse as it is, if we could produce a battery that can store enough electricity for a 300 mile range at motorway speeds, we'd have to provide households with 3 phase 440V supplies to charge them as a standard 13Amp socket would take at least 15 hours to deliver 300 miles worth of motive energy at motorway speeds, suddenly our peak electricity demand would be during the night – how many domestic electrical fires would go undetected as the household are asleep? We cannot and will not switch to electric cars on a large scale for sometime yet – but this niche market is most welcome. Come on British boffins – let's have a slice of the cake.