Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - trasher

I am the owner of a 1999 Vauxhall Omega. The battery is continuously going flat. I have checked that the boot light is not faulty, disconnected the radio and cd player. I have started the car & disconnected the battery terminals and even checked the alternator with a amp meter and all seems well. I can sometimes start the car with no problems & then out of the blue the battery is flat. Please could you advise me what to do as I don't want to spend too much money on such an old car

Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - injection doc
check the lights inside the sunvisors as these often used to stick on, flip the visor down and see if the bulb holder is already warm.
Is your central locking still fully fuctional ?
It may be a case of removing fuses one at a time, you could have a relay sticking which will be more difficult to find.
Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - trasher

Thanks fot your reply.

The central locking works, from the key only & not from the remote. If I remove the fuses one by one, how long should I leave them out for?

Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - injection doc

if you know how long you have to leave the car for before it goes flat, then each fuse will take that time.

If your confident with an Ammeter then you need to chack the current drain, the only problem you may have is that if its a sticking relay then when you disconnect the electrics to fit the ameter link this may cause a relay to drop out anyway.

Do check those lamps above the sunvisor first as they were a very common cause of flat batteries.

2 nd haver you checked the battery itself incase the battery is faulty ! sometimes they do short curcuit internally.

Is the current battery a fast fit tyre centre one ? this is a very valid and important question as some of these batteries are fitted with post convertors that you wouldn't be aware of and they can cause havoc when the connection corrodes.

Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - tdc

My local accessories shop happily does battery checks for free.Last thing they want is someone asking for their money back after having sold them a new one when it turned out to be something else.

A heavy discharge test will tell you if your old battery is up to par.

Are you sure power is not leaking back through the alternator?

If it isn`t your battery then immobilisers,the screw-on ones which fit on the battery terminals are cheap or you can even fit one in the cabin if you get a longer length of lead....and don`t mind activating your radio code every day.

Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - elekie&a/c doctor

These old Omegas are generally reliable on the electrical systems .However I have seen a few issues with flat batteries caused by problems with the hrw relay staying on.May be an idea to remove it.It is located behind the drop down panel under steering column to the left of the fuse box.If I recall it is the tallest relay on the panel.hth

Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - JohnEO

I have this problem with my wife's 2002 Omega.

I will certainly check the sunvisor bulb, as suggested above. But, what does "hrw relay staying on" mean, pls?

Sorry, I'm not an expert. Could you please translate "hrw relay" - and where will it be located?

Many thanks

Edited by JohnEO on 17/07/2017 at 17:55

Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - RT

I have this problem with my wife's 2002 Omega.

I will certainly check the sunvisor bulb, as suggested above. But, what does "hrw relay staying on" mean, pls?

Sorry, I'm not an expert. Could you please translate "hrw relay" - and where will it be located?

Many thanks

Heated rear window relay - probably in the main fuse/relay box

Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - Railroad.

If the heated rear window relay was stuck on then the heated screen would be permanently on. In this condition the battery would be completely flat in about two hours, so it's not likely to be that.

Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - Cyd

even checked the alternator with a amp meter and all seems well

what does this mean?

Comprehensively test your battery and alternator as I show you here. All you need is a cheap DVM (15 quid from BnQ)

https://youtu.be/AT_XmlwMVz4

2002 Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - JohnEO

Sorry, not to get back sooner. Many thanks.

Took car to garage for diagnosis - at cost of £200, including the cost of a Maypole Smart Charger - which is probably half the value of the car!

Problem remains. Last week had the car permanently charged with smart charger started without a problem. My wife took a 35 minute/24 mile trip, left the car for 4 hours, and it would not start. Same happened this morning. AA say alternator and battery perfectly fine.

Returning it to garage for further diagnosis - but any further ideas welcome.

Best

John

2002 Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - elekie&a/c doctor

"Car would not start after 4 hours".So how did you get it started?

2002 Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - meldrew

I am having a similar problem so know how you feel! If you leave the battery on charge for 24 hrs what does the voltage show ?

One of these from Amazon is handy for cars where the cigarette lighter socket is live without the engine running:

www.amazon.co.uk/BOMIEN-Digital-Vehicle-Voltage-Mo...r

2002 Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - JohnEO

So, it turns out that there was a problem with the battery. Replaced it and everything was hunky dory from August 2017 until late April, when we returned from a trip while the Omega was left in the drive. Battery flat, recharged, and once again, would not start. Just got a click when turned on the ignition. AA visited, supercharged the battery, reset the electrics by locking and unlocking the car via the remote. Drove the car 20 miles. 2 days later, same thing happened,

Garage says put the car on a smart meter (permanently?). Left it on overnight with the result that meter showed 14.4v. Removed the smart meter for 2 hours, as I needed the extension cable. Put the meter back on again. Showd 12.4v. Not sure whether that's enough to start a V6.

Maximum exasperation

Any further help appreciated.

2002 Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - Seanyseanysaeny

Ammeter on main cable, measure the current draw with the key out sand ignition off. Tell us what you get and what AH rating your battery is.

2002 Vauxhall Omega - Battery keeps going flat - focussed

Here is the detailed procedure for carrying out the tests for key-on drain or parasitic current drain. Yes it's a USA video - but it's very well explained.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdIKNnwEjIs&ab_channel...s