volkswagon polo 1.2 2002 - Battery problems - trekxor

My Mum's Polo has a history of flat batteries, three of them. the AA keep turning up and supplying "new" ones (I'm told). The advice she has recieved it to "leave it running on the drive for 20 minutes" this isn't any good as it upsets neigbours.

My understanding is that if a car consistantly flattens batteries then it is the alternater at fault. the question then is; Do I replace the alernater? or is there some other part in the system I can replace?

Cheers in advance of replies....

volkswagon polo 1.2 2002 - Battery problems - Peter D

If you have, or can borrow a voltmeter then run measure the battery voltage, then start it and measure it again, then measure agin in 5 minute. Ideally measure the battery after it has been stood overnight and post the voltages. You are looking for 12V ish when cold and 14/14.2 running after 5 minutes. Regards Peter

volkswagon polo 1.2 2002 - Battery problems - madf

No doubt she drives 3,000 miles a year or less and 1 mile to the shops.

Perfectly normal if lead acid. Buy a calcium battery.

volkswagon polo 1.2 2002 - Battery problems - Robin the Technician

Hi,

Assuming she does short journeys, that alone will cause a flat battery eventually. I would suggest you invest in a battery charger and put the battery on charge say, once a month - perhaps when the vehicle is not being used for a couple of days.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician