Freelanders - Which Freelander? - penfold1968

Hi all,

Am looking at a 4 x 4 (used, budget around £3.5 - £4k) as I prefer the higher driving position and need to travel some pretty dodgy roads in the winter (ahh Scotland in December - lovely!)

I really like the freelander, but know first hand about the engine probs with the 1.8 petrol version (the xei?), my question is do all the petrol models have the same issue, or is it just the 1.8? what about the diesel versions? apparently the td4 is ok, but what about the other ones?

Any other suggestions, as i'm not 100% hooked on the freelander (not yet anyway!)

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers

Dave

Freelanders - Which Freelander? - bimmer-driver

Only buy a Freelander if you enjoy breaking down. Engines, gearboxes, clutches, diffs etc etc the list goes on. They're crap. Buy a RAV4 or a CRV instead.

Freelanders - Which Freelander? - madf

Anything with a Rover engine is for masochists.

Freelanders - Which Freelander? - Ethan Edwards

I'd go for a Nissan X-trail. I run a 2.5 litre petrol Auto but on LPG. Utterly reliable and the petrol equivalent of 40+mpg.

Go for pre 2006 and you only pay £235 road tax (as compared to £425)

The XT has been proved by Top Gear and Fith Gear tests to be a better 4wd off roader than the Rav / Freelander 1. You should be able to pick up a petrol XT pretty cheap. Avoid the 2.2 TD version though.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 30/10/2010 at 20:00

Freelanders - Which Freelander? - AnotherWaiting

The well known engine problem is with the 1.8 Petrol. It’s a Rover ‘K’ series and the problems with head gasket failure plagued every car it was fitted to .. Rovers own models, Freelander, MG & Lotus Elise.

I think its fairly well known that Freelanders have other reliability problems regardless of engine.

The td4 diesel after a certain age uses a BMW 2ltr diesel … should be OK you would think. From first hand experience it pulls like a slug with a heavy rucksack.

I have to agree with the other posts re CRV, RAV4 & X-Trail.

Freelanders - Which Freelander? - SteveLee
Honda CR-V every time - forget Freelanders they are trouble. RAV-4s are good too but be aware of the batch of petrol engines that can burn oil.

The only reason you'd want a Freelander and are prepared to put up with potential reliability issues is because you intend to go off road.

CRV...can you switch the 4wd off on those for on road use?

Freelanders - Which Freelander? - penfold1968

Had a look at the x-trail today, but it's seats are so low as to make ride height almost the same as a saloon car, so that's kinda put that out of the running. Cr-v looks good, but anyone got any feedback on how the fwd works - is it permanent (like freelander) or selectable or something else?

Also maybe looking at shogun - any thoughts?

Thanks loads for all replies so far, they've all been really helpful.

Dave

Freelanders - Which Freelander? - Sofa Spud
QUOTE:..""Only buy a Freelander if you enjoy breaking down.""

But if you enjoy breaking down that means you're probably a hardcore Land Rover enthusiast, in which case you'd probably buy a Defender!!!
Freelanders - Which Freelander? - pyruse

CRV...can you switch the 4wd off on those for on road use?

It's automatic on this (and many other 4x4s).

Drive goes to front wheels only unless the engine management unit detects they are slipping, at which point power is automatically fed to the back wheels as well.

It saves fuel but means you get 4WD whenever you need it.

In the Xtrail you can have three options. Switch in the cabin.

2wd (front) - Auto 4wd and 'Lock' in 4wd.

Which is why in Fifth gear testing -in offroad ability it beat the CRV, Santa fe, Rav, freelander1 etc. Coming in top overall.

Freelanders - Which Freelander? - gmt1

My first Land rover was about three years ago when I needed a car of this type as we have horses on a farm and the tracks were too much for a standard car. I bought a 98 Freelander petrol version on Ebay for £1k. It was great lasted me two years with no problems other than new battery and clutch and a new set of tyres. I then wanted a newer version and started looking a few months ago.......couldnt afford the Freelander 2 but could just about afford a new shape Freelander petrol with the K series engine. After a lot of looking I found a gorgeous silver new shape 55 petrol k series at a good price, even got £800 trade in for my old one ! It test drove fantastic and had no signs of the dreaded Head Gasket issue:

The bad bits

Within 2 months I have had two new head gaskets fitted(tried to get away with not skimming the head the first time,Bad move), a new battery, squeeky brakes resolved, new water pump, new thermostat, two new prop shaft bearings, full service, new expansion cooling tank, Cylinder head skimmed.

The good bits

It is now perfect and drives as smooth as you could possibly hope for. No noises and a pleasure to drive.

Overall I would say if you like these cars you get a lot of car for a few thousand if you buy a k series as nobody wants them. But be prepared to spend some money on getting it right as its probably been sold as its showing all the signs of going wrong. If you can not do the work yourself I wouldnt bother as garage prices would be monstrous. Luckily I have a friend who has been great and charged me very reasonable prices for all the work. I would happily go to the auctions in the future and buy a K series then skim the head immiediately while adding new water pump and thermostat along with the new head gasket, (also check the radiator), and with a bit of luck you will have a lovely looking 4x4.

Freelanders - Which Freelander? - turbo11

I would recommend a CRV , fitted with M+S tyres. this is what my sister uses on Exmoor where she lives.Her friends have had two freelanders (v reg petrol) petrol and 06 reg diesel. Both have had numerous visits to the dealership to fix major and minor problems.