FIAT Punto - Car Insurance or Cash - walton

I was hit at a roundabout the young lad had a 59 plate and as he was young he paid £2000 insurance he asked could we do the repairs without insurance claim,I had the car estimated for repairs with the mechanic saying £450 for cash,I do trust the mechanic however I'm wondering if the car is worthy of the repairs or can I just keep the cash,the lad who bumped it is also asking for receipt from mechanic,I have given a receipt for the the cash to the young lad,surely that is it as far as he is concerned as the accident was his fault

FIAT Punto - Car Insurance or Cash - bathtub tom

I've received cash for repairs to my car from accidents that were not my fault:

"For repairs and/or loss of value at my own discretion"

One insurance company even coughed-up on these terms.

It's necessary to submit the claim for a substantially lower sum than the cost of repair. In every case my car would have been written off for cosmetic damage and I was happy to drive it around with roughly hammered out and poorly painted repairs.

Edited by bathtub tom on 26/10/2010 at 23:49

FIAT Punto - Car Insurance or Cash - walton
Thank you,if i had gone through the insurers i would have received a courtesy car and have been told the repairs would have been about £800 so think we are talking in total of £1,000,
FIAT Punto - Car Insurance or Cash - LucyBC

If you don't go through your insurer then in theory you are able to be put back into the position you were in before the accident. So yes you could accept the real cost of repairs and not have it fixed.

But you cannot claim any uplift on the cost of repairs to what it would have been had an insurer fixed it. Nor can you claim for a replacement vehicle if it is not repaired as yours would not have been off the road.

So in these circumstances your claim is for £450 only unless there were other uninsured losses. Was there any injury involved?

FIAT Punto - Car Insurance or Cash - Falkirk Bairn

About 6 years ago I knew a chap that had had his car bashed 3 times in 2 years - parking bash and 2 bumps - uo the back and into front wing- hundreds of pounds each time on a car worth say £500 at most - each time he had taken the money from insurers and left the car as it was - bashed in bumpers and wings but on a 10 year old and he had the money in the bank.